BTST order execution ?!

Client id- ZO2662
i did BTST first time, i bought Ambuja Cement on 25/7/2017 and selling today ( on T2 day ) but when i did it, it shows open position in position menu and p/l is changing continuously
what to do now ?
@nithin @BharatW @Bhuvan

Firstly, this is not a BTST(Buy Today Sell Tomorrow) trade. This would be a BTST trade if you’d bought it on 25 July and sold it on 26 July.

Eitherway, when you sell shares from your Holdings, it will show up as a CNC sell position in your Positions tab. This indicates the price and number of shares sold from your Holdings. You can ignore the fluctuating pnl as this will not provide any additional info to you since you’ve already sold the shares.

hey, thanks for clarification
i had afraid bcoz it shows in open positions (& open position should be close till 3.20)
by the way now am out of position, i can use this money to buy stocks right now ?

The money gets credited to your account as soon as your shares are sold. You can use that amount to take fresh positions.

I want to know solution for below situation-

suppose I have 20 shares of SBI in demat (bought 1 month ago),
and today I want to do BTST for another 10 stock of SBI,
And I am buying today another 10 shares
Now my account has 30 shares of SBI (20 delivery + 10 on T day )
tomorrow when i sell 10 shares, how to ensure that i am selling 10 stocks of T1 day and not demat shares?

i not face this situation but want to do same.

thanks for faster earlier replies!!

Exchanges settle stocks on a FIFO basis(First In First Out basis). What this means is that stocks which are bought first are sold first.
In your case, if you already hold 20 shares of SBI in your Demat and you buy another 10 shares on T day, when you sell 10 shares out of this on T+1, then it will be sold from the first 20 shares.
If you sell all 30 shares, then 20 shares will be sold from Demat and the other 10 will be BTST.

Either way, the net effect of profits/losses will be the same in your account regardless of where the 10 shares are debited from.

thanks for guidance

hey @BharatW / @nithin
client id-ZO2662

I have debited for DP charges on 28/7/2017( as my ledger says) but i have not sold any holding stocks yet.

I did BTST for Ambuja Cement. I bought it on 25/07/2017 and sold on 27/07/2017 ( on T2 day) hence i am unable to understand DP charges in that process,as am sold it before hit my demat account!!
please clarify it.
screen shots-

DP charge is applicable when the client takes delivery of equity shares and sells on T+2 or after delivery. In your case, you bought on 25th and sold on 27th and same day share credited which you bought on 25th as per T+2 and same will debit from your account on 28th or T+1 basis, once the shares come into the Demat account. DP charges are applicable on selling the shares which are lying in your Demat account.

But shares hit demat in T+2 Evening !!
am I right ?
and DP is applicable only if shares was/are in demat
@BharatW

Hi @BharatW @sunils @VenuMadhav @nithin
Doesn’t this effectively mean Zerodha doesn’t offer BTST?
Because, if I already have shares in my demat account, why should I be discouraged to do BTST? I don’t think that is how other brokers deal with the shares bought on the day before. Please note that though the profit I accrue might not differ by a huge margin, the DP charges I incur does.
Let me make it more clear.
Suppose I have bought 1 share of company XYZ on Monday, say for Rs 100. Wednesday evening, I have it delivered in my demat account. Thursday, I buy 1 share of the same company, say for Rs 98. Friday, when I intend to sell the 1 share I had bought on Thursday, say for Rs 99, at 1 Re profit, I do not want to be incurring the additional burden of 16 Rs as DP charges.
Please note that had BTST kicked in, I would not have to shell out additional 16Rs.
Looking forward for a clarification.

In this scenario, we try and settle your Friday’s sale transaction with your Thursday’s purchase which will not attract any DP charges. However, if there’s a short delivery of your Thursday’s buy, to avoid the sale transaction resulting into an auction and therefore a penalty, we debit shares from holding and levy the DP charge.

2 Likes