Can I Join Coin-Direct MF without opening a Demat Account with Zerodha?

Hi There,
I already have a Zerodha account for Equity investment on my Mother’s name/PAN.
My mutual fund investment is with a separate wealth management company who has all the features for MF investment and tacking, except Direct MF investment. So, is it possible to open my MF account in Coin-Direct MF without opening a Demat account ,which will not be used at all for Equity and thus saving the AMC of Rs 300?

Thanks

1 Like

Dear Sir,
I have trading account with Zerodha and my ICICI bank Demat account is linked with this trading account. Delivery based equity purchase are credited to ICICI bank demat account. Similarly if I join COIN, will Direct scheme MF purchases be credited to my ICICI bank Demat account?
If yes, my next query is how do i redeem them?
Regards
Prakash Joshi
DP0989

1 Like

All MF units in Zerodha are held in demat, so it is not possible to invest in MFs without opening a demat account with us. Compared to the commissions you are paying on your regular MF investments the AMC won’t be a big cost component.

For ex. on a SIP of ₹5000 / month over 25 years your corpus will be ₹1.36 Cr in a regular mutual fund compared to ₹1.64 Cr under a direct mutual fund. That’s a massive difference of ₹ 28 lacs. For the same period, the AMC charges will be just ₹ 7500.
If you do decide in invest in stocks, bonds etc you will have the convenience of managing them from one place.

1 Like

To buy mutual funds on Coin, you need to have your demat account with Zerodha. The advantage is you will be that you can manage all your stocks, MFs from a single place.
I would suggest you open a new demat a/c with Zerodha and move your holdings from ICICI if need be.

Hi, I still don’t understand the requirement of opening a demat account with Zerodha.
Let’s say, I have a trading account with Zerodha and my ICICI bank Demat Account is linked to this account. Now when I buy Equities they will be credited to my ICICI demat account. As these equities are with ICICI demat account and Zerodha doesn’t have POA over this demat account, I won’t be able to sell those equities through Zerodha.

Similarly, if I join COIN, will Direct scheme MF purchases should be credited to my ICICI bank Demat account provided I won’t be redeeming them Zerodha.

I want to invest in mutual funds but keep my expenses low. From what i understand without doing any purchase on the COIN platform, i would still have to pay 300/- anually for the Demat account maintainence. Can i close the demat account and still be able to purchase Mutual Funds via COIN?

All MF units in Zerodha are held in demat, so it is not possible to invest in MFs without opening a demat account with us. Compared to the commissions you are paying on your regular MF investments the AMC won’t be a big cost component.

Thanks for the reply Bhuvanesh. One follow question - If i were to buy a direct plan from the AMC or MFU, won’t i be saving on the overall costs compared to Zerodha? So what benefit i get for using Zerodha Coin platform for my basic usage? Plus there will be the 50/- per month charges for investing beyond 25K. So every year i would be spending 900/- from my pocket to avail the same benefits on Zerodha as with an AMC directly?

Saurabh, I believe one significant value is that using Coin, you can buy MF’s from multiple AMC’s with a single login.