Fundamentals vs Technicals

Was listening to this interview with “The Jack Schwager” from sometime back.

An interesting answer from Jack to my question.

Nithin: I’ve heard about your transition from being a fundamental trader to become a discretionary technical trader because of all the risk management benefits you got from following technical analysis. Can you talk a bit about this?

Jack Schwager: It’s kind of interesting. I am not pushing anything but I’ve interviewed traders who made millions or hundreds of millions on fundamentals so I am not knocking fundamentals and it’s right for certain kind of people. I’ve seen both kinds, traders who have done tremendously well with fundamentals and traders who done phenomenally well with technical.

But for myself, the problem I always had with fundamentals is that inherently in the approach, the more wrong you are the more sense it makes to add to the position. So, if I think that some market is underpriced let’s say at $6 and I go long because my fundamentals tell me that this is cheap. If this goes to $5.50 and nothing has changed then it logically means that it is an even better deal and that I should buy more and to certainly not get out.

Not only does fundamentals not have any intrinsic risk management, it’s inherently anti-risk management. Because if you are trying to assign a value to an item and if it is going against with any change and I emphasize without any change in the facts as a fundamental trader your logical step would be to add to a losing position.

This, from a risk management perspective, isn’t very good. Whereas in technical if you are going with the trend or even against a trend I can say that I can expect the market to fail in this zone and if it goes beyond the zone by a 100 points then my call is wrong and I am out. Even if you are going with or against the trend you can apply risk management because technical analysis establishes an area where you want to either buy or sell.

Any reasonable approach you have should allow for asking the question “Where am I wrong?” and that allows for placing a risk management stop. Whereas in fundamentals the market going against you is not a sign that you are wrong but rather a sign that you should put on more.

So, that’s the crux of why I completely transitioned away from fundamentals but again I’ve interviewed many people who think that technical analysis is a bunch of malarkey and have done tremendously well on fundamentals. So it’s really about what’s right for you.

It will be interesting to hear what everyone here think works better.

• Technical Analysis
  • Fundamental Analysis
  • Something else

0 voters

11 Likes

@nithin Fundamental analyst argu that day traders / swing traders (who follows only technicals) don’t contribute to economic. They just buy/sell on the same day.
What’s your view on this? What’s their importance in this ecosystem.
I think day traders contributes more STT (as volume is high than delivery) more GST (as more brokerage) other charges to govt.

@vikas1989
Traders Are just Like Any other Traders in OverAll Economy… Like Trader of Wheat Buy Wheat At low Price And Open Their Shop And Sell At Relatively higher Price And Make Profit… Same With All the Shops… So What Do they Contribute To Economy ?

By Your logic All the Shops Contribute Nothing to Economy.

Why Will Someone Invest When IPO Come out ? They know That When Stock get Listed ON exchange they Will be Able to Sell this Stock to other Traders, This other Trader Will buy stock Only Because they know That they Can Sell it to Some other Trader Whenever They Want (May be Not Always With Profit but they Can). Same With Day Trader they just Hold it For Very Small Time.

So in Order To Grow And Expand Their Business Company Raise Money Via IPO. So if there no Assurance of Selling Their Share in The Company After Investing, Who Would Want to invest in IPO. And this Company may not be Able to Raise Money.

There Are other benefits too of having large number of traders I just explained one.

1 Like