How does taxation work on liquid bees since all gains are in terms of dividends and price remains the same?

Yeah, price on liquid bees remains at a constant 1000, all returns are in terms of dividends. So you will end up having more units at 1000 instead of same number of units at a higher price.

The good news is that dividends (either as cash or as new units/stocks) are tax free in the hands of the investors. So when you get new units as dividend for holding liquid bees, no taxes are applicable on that.

But from this financial year FY 16/17, dividends over and above Rs 10lks per year is taxable at the rate of 10%. But the first 10 lks are tax free.

1 Like

Hey @nithin will the dividend tax of 10% announced in this budget be applicable on LIQUIDBEES?

The Nature of Liquid bees are same of fixed deposit , but rewards are in the nature of Dividend which is exempt upto 10 Lacs.

So would be taxed as per tax slab?

Yes, no escape from taxes LOL.

First 10lks of dividend you receive will have no taxes. After that at special rate of flat 10%.

2 Likes

While investor does not have to pay tax (for dividends below Rs. 10 lakhs), the MF company needs to pay dividend distribution tax (@ 28.84% including surcharge), isn’t it? thus net impact needs to be considered.

So if i am an investor who wants to park the money for say 3 years (beyond LTCG required holding period), am i better off using a regular debt fund (growth option) or liquidbees?

say liquidbees earn Rs. 100 in income, liquid fund (growth option) also earns same amount. Before distributing this earned income, liquidbees fund house will pay Rs. 28.84 in tax and balance Rs. 71.16 will be paid as dividend (units) which will be tax free for investor.
for liquid mutual fund (growth option), when investor withdraws, NAV will have gone up by Rs. 100. Investor pays Rs. 20.6% in LTCG on this and receives 79.4 in his hands. Thus if an investor is willing to hold for more than 36 months, he is better of being in a debt fund than in Liquidbees.

this is my understanding. can you comment on this.

2 Likes

Dear All, @VenuMadhav , @nithin I have one basic qn on how liquid bees work.

I bought 100 units on 15th June 2018. This the value of the liquid bee as of today (9th July 2018). The quantity is still 100 and LTP is 999.99.

Can you please explain what has happened? The extra units havent been credited? or there were no dividends at the end of June 2018?

Many thanks in advance,
Raghu

@NithinKamath @VenuMadhav Could you please reply on this?

It just work as fixed deposits where instead of interest you get dividends

how do we get these dividends? its been close to a month and still it shows the same quantity. Can you explain a bit more please? Thanks.

1 Like

Can you update if you got extra units till now or not yet?

No not yet. The team doesnt seem to care to reply/ look into this!

I think fractional units are not shown here. You can login to CDSL to know the exact amount in your account. The number in Kite is always an integer.

Is this still not taxable after new rules for mutual funds dividends

It is taxable, read this post to know more Everything you need to know about Liquidbees and Liquid Exchange Traded Funds (ETFs)

The dividend from liquidbees is in the form of units of liquidbees, not cash. So suppose I have not redeemed those dividend units for cash, so do I still need to pay taxes in such a case. Or tax has to be paid only when I sell those dividend units? can anyone please clarify? Thanks

@Quicko can you.

since , The dividend from liquidbees is in the form of units of liquidbees, not cash.
there is no question of TDS or form 15 !!!
am I right ?

@Quicko

1 Like