Mutual fund STCG as 44AD income

I am fully qualified for filing u/s 44ADA in ITR4 but forced to consider ITR3 because of short term capital gain & long term capital gain from debt mutual funds.

ITR3 is too complicated. Do not want to use it at all.

So let us consider ITR4:

What if I add an extra business code - 09028 - retail sale of other products n.e.c,

and then:

Represent debt mutual fund STCG & LTCG as business income u/s 44AD?

What do you say? Is it legally correct?

And what are the negative consequences?

Request you to please give me reasons for what you have to say about this.

Thank you.

Debt Mutual Funds are Capital Assets. It will be difficult for you to convince your AO that you’re in the business of buying and selling debt mutual funds.
Gains from above will have to necessarily be treated as capital gains u/s 45. If your AO deems you have willfully misrepresented your income classification to avoid tax then you will be punishable u/s 276C.

For your Reference:

IT Act

1. (1) Any profits or gains arising from the transfer of a capital asset effected in the previous year shall, save as otherwise provided in sections 54, 54B, 54D, 54E, 54EA, 54EB, 54F, 54G and 54H, be chargeable to income-tax under the head “Capital gains”, and shall be deemed to be the income of the previous year in which the transfer took place.

276C. (1) If a person wilfully attempts in any manner whatsoever to evade any tax, penalty or interest chargeable or 63[imposable, or under reports his income,] under this Act, he shall, without prejudice to any penalty that may be imposable on him under any other provision of this Act, be punishable,—

(i) in a case where the amount sought to be evaded 64[or tax on under-reported income] exceeds twenty-five hundred thousand rupees, with rigorous imprisonment for a term which shall not be less than six months but which may extend to seven years and with fine;

(ii) in any other case, with rigorous imprisonment for a term which shall not be less than three months but which may extend to two years and with fine.

(2) If a person wilfully attempts in any manner whatsoever to evade the payment of any tax, penalty or interest under this Act, he shall, without prejudice to any penalty that may be imposable on him under any other provision of this Act, be punishable with rigorous imprisonment for a term which shall not be less than three months but which may extend to two years and shall, in the discretion of the court, also be liable to fine.

Explanation.—For the purposes of this section, a wilful attempt to evade any tax, penalty or interest chargeable or imposable under this Act or the payment thereof shall include a case where any person—

(i) has in his possession or control any books of account or other documents (being books of account or other documents relevant to any proceeding under this Act) containing a false entry or statement; or

(ii) makes or causes to be made any false entry or statement in such books of account or other documents; or

(iii) wilfully omits or causes to be omitted any relevant entry or statement in such books of account or other documents; or

(iv) causes any other circumstance to exist which will have the effect of enabling such person to evade any tax, penalty or interest chargeable or imposable under this Act or the payment thereof.

Please consult your Chartered Accountant. Cheers.