Only 3 out of every 100 Indians have demat accounts

We all know that the stock market penetration is less in India but this data truly puts that into perspective.

Source: NSE RHP.
Per capita bank accounts are 19 times that of demat accounts.

Source: NSE RHp

The current pace of inflows into mutual funds will have to continue for a very long time if this number has to change.

Per capita demat accounts
Bank Accounts 0.52
Insurance 0.3
Demat Accounts 0.03
Per capita assets in bank
Bank Accounts ₹ 92,756
Insurance ₹ 18,554
Mutual Funds ₹ 9,025
5 Likes

Thank God I have Demat account.

Btw, 3crore+ demat accounts in India aren’t unique. I have almost 6 demat accounts. So the real number is maybe just 1.5 demats for every hundred.

7 Likes

I would Like to know These 6 Demat accounts are open Under Zerodha or Any Other full-service broker.
(If you don’t mind )

1 Like

I guess he can have 100 demat accounts on zerodha. But I m not sure if one can have multiple accounts with same broker & what purpose it serves.

Secondly if mr nithin has accounts with other companies then maybe he’s keeping them with the view if some black out happens on zerodha then he can be safe. We all have multiple accounts. Also he must be having old accounts with other brokers before he founded zerodha!!

1 Like

Exactly. Even I have 3 already within months of starting my trading journey lol

:slight_smile: I have been trading for a very long time, much much before Zerodha. These were all opened during those times. Yeah, they are full serviced, because there was no discount then ;)…

4 Likes

Credit dena bhul gaye bhai… :stuck_out_tongue:

I have 3 too!! And other 5 for IPO(family members and friends), planning for more too and I’m sure I’m not alone doing this practice.

@nithin : So why havent you closed them ? Is it competitor analysis :slight_smile: ?

1 Like

Nah…laziness to send that closure letter. Anyways, there is no stocks lying, so they are all BSDA, doesn’t cost anything :slight_smile:

1 Like

@nithin

What is the cost structure?
As per SEBI directive, the charge structure will be based on value of holdings in the accounts as indicated below:
No AMC shall be levied, if the value of holding is up to Rs. 50,000.
For the value of holding from Rs 50,001 to Rs 200,000, AMC not exceeding Rs 100 may be charged.
If the value of holding in such BSDA exceeds Rs. 200,000 at any date, the DPs may levy charges as applicable to regular accounts (non-BSDA) from that date onwards.

Do you charge AMC if amount in my holding is less than 50,000 in a financial year?

1 Like

Are bhai bhai bhai… :joy:
Thank you very much.

Damn! These numbers are depressing. Maybe the govt should push financial intermediaries to do a Demat Sahi Hai campaign, maybe that will actually help the situation.

1 Like

Maybe they should start with dematerializing all accademic records, that will ensure everyone has one :slight_smile: