ORB - Opening Range breakout - 2PM BankNifty Intraday Strategy

Many a times we would have noticed the market trading range bound without much movement, however post 2 PM we have seen many times, market move in one sided direction when the day high or day low is broken.

It could be due to various reason like, the news that comes in during market hours, Geo political events that affect other international markets which in turn affects Indian markets or its the time European markets opens up and fresh inflows occur.

What if we could ignore all the noise till 2 pm, and then trade the day high or low breakouts. It would be much easier for traders, as we don’t need to sit in front of terminal all the time, we just place the orders at 2 pm and carry on with our work.

So the rules of the game is

1. Check Bank Nifty day high and day low at 2 PM

2. Buy when day high is crossed and Short when day low is crossed, exit at 3:20 PM or when stop loss is hit.

3. Place BO order for both Buy and Sell and relax

When market starts trending after 2pm, it could trigger any of the order and the other order will act as a stop loss. or you can also keep a fixed stop loss of 0.5%. In the above example, on 26th April 2018, Bank Nifty crossed the day high after 2PM, which triggered Buy order and by 3:20 PM, the position has been squared off in profit.

Here’s another example, on March 6th 2018, Bank Nifty broke its day low after 2 PM and ended up with huge profits by 3:20 when we closed the intraday position.

And remember, not every trades end up in profits. Sometimes, you need to face losses as well but those are limited. In the below trade, after initial buy trigger, it hit stop loss and short trade was triggered which ended up in minimal loss by end of the day when position was squared off.

I have tested this scenario with last 9 years of historical data (From 2010–2018).

Here’s the backtest results. The system has given more than 17,000 points in last 9 years. Most of the best successful traders have winning ratio of less than 50%, even in this system we just have 48% winning ratio. But that doesn’t matter.

Max loss in a trade has not exceeded more than -130 points. Risk reward ratio is also good. Out of more than 2200 trading days, only 50% of the time trade has triggered. I haven’t considered transaction cost & slippages, so we need to deduct some % from over all profits and which in turn could increase draw down slightly higher.

Remember Bank Nifty was trading around 10000 few years before, if we face 100 points loss, it is -1% of Bank Nifty value. However, if we face the same 100 points loss now when Bank Nifty is trading around 26000, it is just 0.4%. So maximum draw down, I have calculated in points wise and % wise.

The monthly profit seems to be consistent, where when we have bigger volatility days, profits are really huge.

And look at the yearly profits, seems to be a great result. However, year 2017 seems to be bad, a flat year when index made more huge movement in 2017 and when mutual fund made high returns in 2017, this strategy under performed. Its mainly because of drastic reduction in volatility last year, remember volatility is the friend of day traders, we need huge movements to make high returns. But still in less than 6 months in 2018, the returns are spectacular.

This strategy is good for beginners, day traders with minimal capital, where they can trade with a fixed target and make some quick bucks.

The actual idea to this trading system was posted in a facebook group by a fellow member Mr. Manoj. I just analyzed the info with our historical data sets and published the information here.

We have developed the bot to send Instant order alert, which would send alert at 2 PM to our Telegram channel. User can just click on it to place the order in their trading account.

You can get the instant order alert by using this bot - click here to access the bot

4 Likes

Is this paid service

No, its free.

The Auto execution order alert triggered exactly at 2pm and in few minutes bank nifty made a violent move. What a rally in bank nifty today.

:+1:
Will try it

It was because of May month contract, have updated it to June month. its working fine now. refresh the page and try again

1 Like

thank you sir for the strategy. may i know where i get this algo , i want to modify thisbrak out time to9.15 to 9.25.

Hi, currently it is being setup for only 2PM trigger, you can access it from this channel https://t.me/squareOff_Channel and https://t.me/sqalerts

thank you for reply

Another fantastic run up in BankNifty - 2PM ORB rally.

Alert was triggered at 2PM with a buy trigger of 26588 and from there it moved more than 200 points.

Another trending day in Bank Nifty post 2pm. 160+ points profits made in BankNifty.

How to add this bot in my kite?

You can install Telegram and join this bot channel. Telegram: Contact @sqalerts where an auto alert like below will be sent, you just need to click on it to execute.

Was expecting a much bigger breakout being a expiry day today, but still ended up with 50+ points profits.

Another 60+ points movement today.

1 Like

not working

This is an expiry error, we have updated the file and its working fine. and good sell in last hour resulted in good profit for ORB 2PM strategy today.

1 Like

This month seems to be great month for ORB 2PM traders, extensive moves are happening post 2pm. Another 300 points profit

1 Like

Is this Future or spot price

futures