Suggesting a Transaction Based Pricing Model for Coin

I know a lot of discussions have already been done regarding the Coin charges and @nithin & the Zerodha team has time and again tried to convey benefits of investing with Coin and try to justify the charges, even the ELSS investments have been made free recently. But I still feel that the current subscription model is not in the best interests of either the users or Zerodha.

This is going to be a slightly longer post but please hear me out and please do not merge or unlist this post.

My basic suggestion is, why not make the pricing model based on transactions instead of a flat subscription? Eg. pay Rs. 5 for every MF buy transaction (selling currently still costs 5.5), similar to stock delivery. I’ll explain why I feel so and the benefits of this:

• Very simple to understand, no prior commitment, pay as you go and as per your investment style.

For example, I have been wanting to invest my surplus cash from the trading account into a liquid fund for a pretty long time. My heart wants to just go for it given all the benefits of Coin & demat (and my brand loyalty :blush:) but my brain says: click that button and you’ll pay Rs. 600 per year for your whole life even if you don’t make any other transaction!

Clearly doesn’t benefit someone who is just looking to do lumpsum investments occasionally or wants to simply park funds and pledge them. Note that you will earn from pledging later on too!

• Basic revenue guaranteed for Zerodha from SIP participants

Let’s look at an average MF investor who will invest through 3-4 different SIPs. 3 SIPs means minimum 36 transactions a year which translates to Rs. 180. Some might even want to have a 15 day SIP which will double the revenue to Rs. 360! Apart from this I am sure there would be some 4-5 lumpsum liquid fund transactions adding some more revenue for Zerodha.

Anyone who is doing an SIP of say 10-15k won’t mind paying Rs. 15-20 extra. In fact people, were paying the payment gateway charges till a few months back!

You’d be having better data on the size and number of SIP transactions and can take a call based on that.

• Current pricing makes very difficult to convince a new, average MF investor

Majority MF investors are looking at quickly, simply and cheaply starting their SIPs. With the current plan, they not only have to do a bunch of paperwork, understand what trading & demat is, pay 300 per year for maintaining a demat PLUS pay 600 per year just to be able to buy MFs! That’s too much!

Sure Zerodha can convert may be a sizeable chunk of existing clients into Coin users, but probably, and I may be wrong, attracting new clients who are purely looking for MF investments, given the currently available options, would be difficult. A person like me would never opt for Coin.

• Competition is catching up!

The story was different a year back. Today so many competitors offer benefits and features similar to coin (except the demat part may be) for free.

Regular plans are anyways history as per my understanding, thanks to the brilliant marketing done by all companies. I don’t think anyone who has ever googled mutual funds will ever opt for a regular plan. So the fact that Zerodha offers direct plans is not an advantage anymore.

Also, almost every new company that is offering MF services provides you with a dashboard kind of view to track all your MF investments, which is more than enough for an average MF investor who might never want to dabble into stocks or trading. So this advantage is also taken.

The only advantage the Coin truly has over its competition is the ability to get MF units in demat form for easy pledging, safety etc. and consolidated investment tracking. This is useful only if you have direct equity investments or do trading. Besides, one is already paying 300 AMC for the demat account, where the stocks or MF units can sit safely.

I agree, not all the competition is going to survive forever with freebies, but remember that sometime back the same was being said about Zerodha!

Some have in fact, started charging for advisory services etc. and we’ll see if that works, but here Zerodha is completely DIY (which I like the most!) and charging just for enabling purchase-sell of MF units!

• MF is not an advanced feature but a basic necessity for every user

I agree that some of the tools like Sentinel, Streak or smallcase Screener might be doing well with the subscription model, but they are aimed at pros or advanced users who might be willing to pay for that. MF on the other hand is a basic need for everyone holding a Zerodha account and should be priced similar to other things like trading or delivery, on a pay per use model.

Just like you have these additional tools as new revenue sources, I am sure you will be able to create more revenue sources from Coin too (probably with that NBFC license :wink: ) and in fact you already have one source that is pledging!

• To conclude…

I’d like to say that I honestly want Zerodha Coin to grow and these are just my personal views. I may be wrong in some aspects and may be Zerodha has already achieved the number of users it targeted, but still for me, using Coin doesn’t look cost efficient.

I would like to know the views of members, the team and of course @nithin on this. I know Zerodha might not be able to immediately make any changes since they’ve already made a new announcement, but still it would be great to discuss, even if just for knowledge sake, what you feel about this!

But why do all this.

Simplest thing one can do is go the Funds website and buy a direct plan.

Since KYC is a one time thing, you can diversify your investments and maintain a sheet of your investments.

Why pay 50Rs/month for something that you can do for free.

Now , even if Z provider coin for FREE, it doesn’t matter. Buy directly from Fund house online and be done with it.

@trader_dude still when you want to switch funds or change sip duration/amount it is a hassle dealing with multiple fund houses. But I agree that even if you don’t go to fund houses, guys like groww, Kuvera etc. let you handle all from one place like Coin.

Also, not taking away the fact that there is some real benefit of having MF in demat like safety, easy pledging etc. though not for everyone.

The merits-demerits of investing with Coin have already been discussed many times before. Hence, my suggestion was to improve coin pricing, for people who still want to use coin, because currently people are moving to other options.

@rupeshmandal you managed to convince @nithin and team Zerodha for free ELSS on Coin, maybe you can share your views on this proposal as well :stuck_out_tongue:

Some discussion on this thread might also help catch other members’ attention :smile:

Would love to hear your views here!
@nithin @Bhuvan @siva @faisr @rupeshmandal

The reason for the monthly pricing and not per transaction because people use coin very different to another MF platform. The number of transactions everyday is quite huge. Is Rs 600 a year so much? :grimacing:

Btw do you know standalone MF platforms spend between Rs 2000 to Rs 5000 for customer acquisition (marketing, onboarding costs etc). Atleast on a regular MF platform they hopefully can recover it, but I don’t know how other direct MF platforms will recover just the costs with the current pricing model. As long as the VC money lasts, it is okay, but every business needs a long term sustainable revenue model.

Thanks a lot for the reply @nithin.

I completely agree that you need a sustainable model. My guess was that most users would be having about 3-4 SIPs and hence that many transactions per month, and so charging per transaction would be sustainable for you guys at the same time it relieves lumpsum or occasional users from the lifetime 600 PY fees.

I am really intrigued by the fact that most people are doing so many transactions every month for a product like MF! But surely you would have better data on that.

600 is not much, especially for someone doing an SIP, but just that there is a psychological barrier for someone who just wants to park funds or invest occasionally, because one is paying 300 for AMC of demat.

Also, as I mentioned above, MFs are really basic needs and should not be charged like an add-on product.

If someone wants to pledge or take a loan against MF units in future, you can charge them as well. So all these charges add up and increase the cost for someone who just wants to park funds or hold units long term.

Breaking news:-

2 Likes

Wow!!!

I don’t have words to express how happy I am with this move @nithin !!

This is truly revolutionary and I am sure it will bring almost all existing clients to Coin as well as bring new ones for Zerodha!

Had you announced this a few days back, I wouldn’t have opened my account with groww :stuck_out_tongue:
But now, not only am I going to come back to coin but will also get my parents’ accounts opened with Zerodha :smiley:

Only one question, is the redemption charge the same (5.5) or free or increased?

No change. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@nithin @Bhuvan

Now users might ask you for refund of the 50 per month levied on past transactions. :joy:just kidding. Thanks for making this change…

1 Like