SWP / STP in Zerodha

@Neelesh Are you planning to support a “Switch” option - as in switch a portion of an equity mutual fund into a liquid fund? Like a one-time STP and not a recurring one.

@Neelesh I see you mentioned “there will be a credit and debit” for the planned STP feature. I have a question on that.

Suppose the investment to the source fund was done from a secondary bank account. Where will the credit go to in case of STP from that fund? Will the credit still go to the primary bank account from where the debit to the target fund will happen?

If there’s a credit and debit into the primary account,

1)does that mean we have realised the P&L and thus one need to pay applicable tax on it ? ?

2)And also , once the amount is credited, does the credited amount be put under hold or some kind of lock until it gets debited again??

1 Like
  1. Yes, since it hits your bank acccount, it is profit/loss. Have to pay tax on it.

2. It’s completely normal debit and credit, bank does not know anything about mutual fund orders.

Capital gain tax must be paid regardless of whether the amount is credited to your bank account. Capital gain tax for STP is not affected by the mode of holding (Demat or SoA).

1 Like

Thank you for your correction, I was under the wrong impression that tax would not apply since it doesn’t hit your bank account. Understood how that might be a cheat code then by just transferring all units to a different fund and avoiding tax :smile:

My criticism of units in demat mode still stands, since it forces a customer to interact (by entering CDSL TPIN) for something that has to be “systematic” and without involvement from a customer.

@tallerballer I believe you can skip it by sending dis slip to Zerodha. It will give them POA to execute orders on your behalf without the need for your authentication on daily basis.

Biggest friction for me would be increased turnover of primary bank account. Credits and debits shouldn’t have passed through the bank account in case of same AMC transfer. But In demat form, There is no concept of AMC so I get it.

Yeah I am aware, just not comfortable with giving them Demat Debit and Pledge Instruction. Does it not give them the right to debit both stocks and mutual funds.

Maybe CDSL should introduce DDPI for just mutual fund units.

Convenience should not compromise security
Cdsl tpin authentication is extra safety step without which broker cannot execute sell order…

Bse star , amc and sebi should bring STP facility for demat mode of MFs too along with cdsl just like how it works in SOA form…

2 Likes

Does that not compromise the same said security?

1 Like

@Neelesh

When will UPI Auto-pay rolls out and then STP? Any updates??

Currently, if you create a traditional STP with any of the AMCs, the tax liability is as per the scheme purchase date, so say you create a traditional STP, the units will be debited from one fund and credited to the other, and the tax liability will be as per the scheme category and the tax bracket. So similarly, the STP we are working on will have the same logic; taxation will be there as per the AMC.

As of now the debit and credit both will be done from the primary bank account, if you have a mandate-only in that case a secondary bank account is allowed. Further, in the future, we will be providing an option to select the bank account, and as a user, you will be free to choose any.

There won’t be any hold or locking, it will be powered by a mandate so as per the instruction the amount will be debited from the bank account.

Correct.

We are left with the last few updates in the flow, this will be live soon. Apologies for the delay :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@neelesh @nithin Thanks for making XIRR availble at instrument level in Console.

Recently, I have observed that, XIRR is not working the way it is supposed to - in Console Family Portfolio view.

Let’s assume, there is an MF Instrument in which me and few other family members of mine have invested in, out of which some are long term investments. All these investments from different accounts gets shown together in Console Family Portfolio view. XIRR computation works in this case. :slight_smile:

Assume another case, there is an MF Instrument in which few of my family members have invested in for long term, but i do not have any investments in the same instrument. All these investments from different accounts gets shown together in Console Family Portfolio view. XIRR computation in this case fails with below error.

I am not able to understand why this error is being shown in this case. IMO, above scenario is a valid case and XIRR computation should work properly - as XIRR is only related to when and how much was invested. It doesn’t relate to who invested in / how many accounts invested in.

I have tried to raise this issue using Zerodha Support, but got the response that XIRR option shouldn’t be visible in Family Portfolio view - which seems wrong to me. Hence, trying to raise this issue here to get proper attention and resolution on this.

Yes, as of now we do not support this. We have this WIP on low priority as of now. We will keep you updated once live.

@Neelesh Thanks for acknowledging the issue.

As of now, this along with lack of other features has become a blocker for me. I am forced to look into other options to obtain basic details and perform some analytics on top of the Family Portfolio view. Hope this issue gets resolved sooner.

@Neelesh Hii , Any updates on STP ?? It’s been a while. When can we expect STP on coin ?

Won’t promise a timeline, but many new features will be up on Coin soon; we have made a major change this weekend on the Coin backend, soon, all the features that were dependent on this backend upgrade will start going live. Meanwhile, you can start a SWP in fund A and create a SIP in fund B linked to a mandate that will act as a pseudo STP :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Neelesh . Yeah okay. Can I know what are those exciting features ? When will those features get reflected in coin?

@Neelesh Any update on UPI AutoPay and STP features availability?

Basic question regarding STP, Do we get T day NAV (when STP was executed) for the new fund, or would it be T+1 / T+2 or when the amount gets credited to the new fund?

We are nearing the launch date; just a few more days and should be up. For STP, it will be T-day NAV, the SWP will be triggered on T-2 day depending on the settlement time of the source scheme, and the autopay will trigger from the credit of the SWP for the STP.

1 Like