Trading Holiday: Why is commodities trading happening?

Today being Shivratri is a trading holiday for MCX.

Given that commodity markets are internationally traded markets, it is obvious that other markets in the world will continue to trade them like any other day.

I notice in my Kite application that there are bids and trading is happening. Does this mean that I can also trade today?

What happens if I do trade today?

Mcx is open for evening session (17:00 to 23:55 ) today. You can trade normally as any other day.

Oh. Not to nitpick, but can I check this on MCX website?

Also, my intraday trades will get through and tallied at the end of the day?

Yes it’s there on mcx website.

https://www.mcxindia.com/market-operations/trading-survelliance/trading-holidays

They have color coded morning and evening sessions. red+red= full day closed, red + blue = morning closed evening open. Yes your intraday trades will be executed as any other normal trading day.

1 Like

Thanks for quick response!

You can add all the market/trading holidays to your Google calendar at once. Check this out. The good people of Zerodha have made our lives easier.

2 Likes

hello @MaverickRabidDogIa im a kind of new to commodity market. can you please explain me about inventory , inventory data or how does it effect our trading ??? i cant find it in internet but i see lot of people talking about it …

Crude oil inventory data is reported by U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) every wednesday at 9:00 p.m. i.s.t. But if there’s a holiday in the U.S. they release it on thursday at 9:30 p.m. i.s.t. (this timings will change sometime in march due to daylight savings).

As per investing.com:

"The Energy Information Administration’s (EIA) Crude Oil Inventories measures the weekly change in the number of barrels of commercial crude oil held by US firms. The level of inventories influences the price of petroleum products, which can have an impact on inflation.

If the increase in crude inventories is more than expected, it implies weaker demand and is bearish for crude prices. The same can be said if a decline in inventories is less than expected.
If the increase in crude is less than expected, it implies greater demand and is bullish for crude prices. The same can be said if a decline in inventories is more than expected."

I personally avoid trading during news.

Below is an economic calendar that i find useful:

The importance of the event is shown by the no. of bull signs under column “imp”.

2 Likes

thanks for the reply @MaverickRabidDogIa . i understand it now