Why invest in direct mutual funds on Coin?

AMC will be deducted quarterly from your trading account i.e. Rs 88.5/- every 3 months.
Don’t have clear answer for your 2nd question. But I guess it will be marked inactive after a year.

@Bhuvan If we invest in GOI bonds via coin you charge 0.06% brokerage, ie Rs600 per 10 lakh. Whereas if we buy it from secondary market via kite its free.

What is the rationale ?

Why arent few of the high yield bonds not liquid ? examples
8.20% G.S. 2025
8.33% G.S. 2026
10.18% G.S. 2026
9.20% G.S. 2030
8.97% G.S. 2030
9.20% G.S. 2030

what factors determine the liquidity & market making?

Hello Everyone ,
I know I’m late but I have few questions about Coin / Zerodha , along with it general doubts about mutual funds.

So here’s a little back story :
I started investing in mutual funds in 2020 when I got my first job and since then I’ve been investing SIPs via a full-service broker. I will not name it but I’ve been pretty unhappy with it. I could not take the decision to change it up-until recently as now I’ve started to educate myself financially.
I have about 17 different mutual funds in my portfolio as of writing this post and all of them are regular mutual funds.
There are 3 mutual funds that show it’s in DEMAT mode and rest are in NON-DEMAT mode.
As of now I’ve currently stopped all my SIPs to correct my portfolio and change broker before starting them again.
Here are my questions :

1. If I start using coin what happens to my non-demat mutual funds ? As per the article : How to transfer mutual funds from other platform to Coin?

I can only move demat mutual funds to COIN , and I do not want to go through the cumbersome process of converting non-demat mutual funds to demat , just for the sake of transferring them to COIN.

So can I leave the non-demat mutual funds as it is and just move the demat mutual-funds to COIN and start my new SIPs ?
Also will I lose my non-demat funds if I close my account with existing broker after transferring demat mutual-funds ? I would like to close my account with my existing broker.

1. I had created a zerodha account around Jan 2023 , but never used it (my lack of taking action with my current broker) , so it is marked as inactive , do I need to activate it and re-complete KYC before starting to use COIN ?

2. I know about the AMC (annual maintenance charges ) of ₹300 + 18%GST = 354 on Kite , but if I use only COIN but not actively perform trades , do I need another AMC charge for using COIN ? I know kite is required to use coin , also are there any other charges , I’m not much into active day trading but have some shares that I would like to transfer to zerodha as well. Who knows maybe I will start trading in future.

3. I know kite is used to manage funds for COIN , and I can place bank mandates as well in kite for SIPs in COIN,
    I would like to know about the process of withdrawing from COIN in future , since these will be demat mutual funds , what will be the charges / applicable taxes during the withdrawal , is it same as non-demat mutual funds ? Will the withdrawal come back to kite console or my bank account directly ?

4. COIN shows about NPS (National Pension Scheme) , I already have an NPS account both tier 1 and tier 2 , is there any way I can connect my existing NPS to COIN ?

5. I would like to find all the differences between demat and non-demat mutual funds , I tried google , chatgpt / gemini / claude for answers but was not satisfied , any reference for me to read about this , I would like to know about advantages / disadvantages of each / differences.

I have gone through every post in the chat , but maybe I might have missed something that could have answered my questions , I apologise the community for it.

Any / Every help from community is appreciated.

Tagging few people for visibility , apologies in advance.

@siva @nithin

Yep, you will have to convert them to a demat mode; as of now, this is an offline process, but soon, we will have an online process for it as we are in touch with the RTA and Depository about the automation of this process. You will not lose the nondemat funds; they are in SOA mode with the RTA; you can track them with the RTA as well and redeem them whenever you want to. There is no restriction about it. You will also be able to transfer the regular funds to coin but not invest further n them you will have to invest in the direct plan of the same scheme through coin.

Your EQ will be marked as dormant but you should be able to do your MF investments on Coin. Refer to this article on how you can activate your Zerodha Account.

AMC will be charged since your investments are in a demat mode with us, irrespective you use Kite or not, as your MF investments with zerodha are in a demat mode.

Nope, kite funds are not used to manage investments on Coin. Post June 2022 the, the way funds are handled is changed. The amount is now directly transferred from your bank account to the exchange. The withdrawal will come back to your bank account and also the taxes will be the same, nothing changes and no extra charges from our end.

Yes, you will have to change the POP on the CRAs website, and your NPS can then be tracked on Zerodha; we will soon start with Tier 2 investments on Coin. Refer to this article to understand more,

Refer to this thread to understand the same.

2 Likes

Following has been taken from Zerodha Support page :
What are the charges to Invest in NPS?

To open an NPS account, Zerodha charges a fixed account opening charge of ₹200 + 18% GST along with a commission of 0.25% of the investment amount (capped at ₹25,000) or ₹30 (whichever is higher) plus 18% GST.
For example, the account opening charge for an investment of ₹1000 would be ₹236 (₹200 + 18% GST) along with a commission of ₹35.4 (0.25% of the investment or ₹30 (whichever is higher), plus 18% GST). The total charge would be ₹271.4 (₹236 + ₹35.4).

Question is, whether this 0.25% commission applies to each installment of NPS (every month) ?

A small follow up , are there any means to transfer my current demat mutual funds to COIN via internet ?
I mean without getting DIS physical slip ?
my current demat account’s depository is CDSL.