Why is Coin based on demat?

Statement of Account.

It is almost same as demat mode.
You don’t need to keep physical shares.
They are also held in electronic format just like demat.
Demat is a type of electronic format used by Depositories.
There can be multiple ways to maintain your books.
So MF industry uses this SoA format.

1 Like

Yup…
Thats y I prefer MFU.
Anyways its always better to separate your Investements, Trading, MFs & FDs.
Like a portfolio diversification.
Service Provider diversification.

1 Like

I am not an expert in MF investing, so I don’t have an opinion on demat vs. SoA etc. However, I found the below comment interesting:

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren’t demat accounts registered with CDSL, which is controlled by BSE along with several banks? Doesn’t this mean that there is no risk with investments held in one’s demat account from any possible illegal/unethical actions by the intermediary (like Zerodha), since CDSL’s systems are presumably well designed to protect investors from such possibilities?

Is there any risk with high service provider concentration - having only one service provider? If I rely on Zerodha’s services (demat, Kite, Coin, etc.) for 100% of my investments, is there any risk in case of extreme unlikely events like Zerodha going bankrupt, or the promoters (I am sure they are wonderful people in reality!) suddenly going bonkers and committing fraud, etc.?

I know such cases are very very unlikely, but I am interested in having an idea of what are the possible, theoretical risks, however unlikely they may be.

Thanks in advance!

I am also not 100% sure here.
But let me take an educated guess.

1. Yes Demat with CDSL/NSDL are extremely safe. There are indeed minuscule chances of any fraud on account of Zerodha or other brokers. But I assume that you have given PoA to Broker and hence he have all powers to remove your MFs etc from your demat - ethical, unethical, illegal - that will be matter of investigation.
    Why I said diversification.

2. Just to make use of various facilities by various services.

3. To save bucks on services

4. Easy visualizing the investments.

The MFU have more advanced and more efficient platform, services, facilities than Coin.
You need not pay 50 per month.

Also with zerodha there is always chances of some mishap or the other. consider a situation in which you are not able to exit a position, sell MF because N is busy accepting some award? :scream::scream:

I have Direct MFs with MFU. Let me tell you the Apps from which I can access all those MFs

1. goMF -by MFU
  2. myCAMS - by CAMS
  3. KTrack - by Karvy
  4. Individual Apps of various AMC
  5. Website of MFU, CAMS, Karvy & individual AMCs

Now i can access, transact in any MF from any of these platforms.
For eg SBI MF can be accessed from goMF, myCAMS, SBIMF Invest APP.
But this is possible only if you have SoA MF. If your MF is in Demat format, you can see your folio from the app but cant transact. So in case you have coin based MF only gateway to your folio is Coin - which may crash any time just like kite.
So yes its way safer to have SoA MF.

PS - once N himself put forward this line of argument while defending coin vs MFU

And guess what, same things happening with zerodha. Can’t keep pace.

2 Likes

@maddy_Des Thank you. I had a quick look at MFU website. First impression is that the website needs improvement :grinning:, doesn’t look as polished as Zerodha.

But will check it out in detail later when I have the time.

Cheers!

1 Like

More the facilities, more the complex GUI will be!
Coin has no STP/SWP, SIP from Bank, mobile app, CAGR or XIRR
It can’t get clean & simpler than this.

Also if you have some problem in understanding you can ask.

Also read this

2 Likes

And this is how myCAMS app looks like.
If you have non demat MFs of CAMS catered AMCs.
Can you expect this from Zerodha even in 2020?

You can click on this link to understand the remat process. If its still not clear then kindly raise a ticket on our support portal.

Cool

Hi Mady, where can I find CAGR or XIRR etc in the MFU app? I have never seen anything like that. It does not show the price you bought or the returns. All I have seen is the current value.

Not sure if I am not looking at the right places. Thanks slight_smile:

1 Like

MFUtility doesn’t show XIRR / CAGR. It displays your asset holdings by percentage (equity / debt / cash); and it doesn’t show invested cost either.

I use Valueresearch for this; but since MFUtility has these issues, have since moved to <-- Text Cannot Be Displayed —>. <-- Text Cannot Be Displayed —> displays absolute returns for investments less than a year; and XIRR for investments longer than a year.

For that you can use MyCAMS app and CAMS website.
CAMS and Karvy cover almost all the MFs, hence you can transact from any of the website or app by :

1. MFU 2.CAMS 3.Karvy
    No hassles here. Just download the apps or go to website and register yourself there as well - they will automatically fetch the holdings. folios etc.

Thanks mate!

Again on the MF…does VR give all these parameters like returns/XIRR?
I am somewhat familiar with VR. Never tried Kuvera. Is it a safe platform?

Thanks buddy. Will explore kuvera.

Consider a case when some person is doing SIP of RS. 1000 per month in two different ELSS fund for three years. Now if one has to rematerialize those units as he can’t sell ELSS schemes before 3 years, he has to pay:

Remat charges: (2x12x3x150)+100 = 10,900 ???

1 Like

Why would you want to rematerialize the units before 3 years ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

love your this comment

Just wanted to understand if with the new NAV applicability rules, is the credit of units faster when done with a demat account or with the SOA kind of account?

1 Like

Investing through AMC website would ensure same-day NAV if you buy (make payment successfully) latest by 3 pm.

Investing by Coin (in demat mode) or other 3rd party websites (non-demat mode), mostly all process orders through BSE Star MF platform which has cut-off 2:30 pm (30 minutes before actual cut-off 3 pm) for same-day NAV.

But Coin has another restriction above it, which is it has a blanket cut-off 1:30 pm. So if you place an order at 1:31 pm, your order will be processed only the next day.

So the AMC websites have an advantage here.

Now, you may wonder why different cut-offs for different platforms. I have already lodged a complaint against the brokers and NSE, BSE etc and the case is under review. Let’s hope SEBI straighten it out because when it expects us to pay before 3 pm for same day NAV realization, then it should also ensure that we are able to pay latest by 3 pm, uniform cut-off timing, regardless of the platform instead of each having their own cut-off timing.