An open-source Kite Desktop Application

why not when even personal blogs are not allowed and this will directly benefit the OP , may be not monetary gains but definitely traffic and other gains,

I am a big supporter of open source and kudos to his effort and I guess this is the time when the forum rules need to clearly mention of what is allowed and what is not, no where it mentions that self promotion would be considered only when someone is making money out of it. Just my thoughts.

2 Likes

Ah, didn’t realize that you were pitching this for privacy. Most of our customers want a desktop app for the experience.

We are right now burdened with a lot of work, no bandwidth for anyone to audit.

1 Like

@nithin,
many of just don’t need a desktop app for the experience but a desktop app can be more helpful in trading.
for example, in PI I can open multiple snap quote {DOM} windows and trade directly from that and manage their placement on my screen anywhere, but such function I cant perform in web-based platform.

1 Like

Isn’t pi an application and why can’t everyone use that

1 Like

it is but not in-house application so I personally fear it can vanish away if 3rd party pulls the plug off. just my fear lolzzzzz

Not reliable! Slow! Compared to NEST/NOW.

First off great project that you’ve undertaken, lot of potential. i myself a OSS enthusiast. while zerodha won’t (can’t???) vouch for anything that is competition or beyond their 100% control, as a business we can understand. but this project of yours can co-exist, heck if you manage to include hotwords like NEST terminal it’ll be instantly popular. safety with features. Take my energy…

2 Likes

Not to disappoint anyone … But how is this a desktop app?
It is just loading the web interface in an app …
Just like sensibull has created its mobile app … Its not even a mobile app is any shape or size …

I guess only zerodha will be able to create proper desktop app cos only they will have access to main system …

1 Like

Hello @nithin

Emailing to rainmatter feels like shouting at a wall. Would you please answer a simple (for you) query here?

If I develop a trading software for the desktop, using kite api, and want sell it to clients … how difficult it is, as per zerodha & rainmatter policies & practice? I am asking this because there is a catch22. Unless you endorse, there wont be many clients and unless many want it, you would not be interested. Is there a way out of this? Can I get clients using my kite-api-using app before the legal, audit and approve process?

I actually believe one-size-fits-all software is not a winning approach. What I really want to do is to offer custom built software as per requirements.

My plan (1) is to sell a common version of the software … with which clients can use their own kite api account … their own api key and api secret. No commission from broker for me.

Plan (2) is same as plan 1 but the software is free (or costs way less). I get some commissions from broker, and the app uses my api key.

There are more variations. The idea is one generic version and specific features on top of it. Extended support and customization would be offered at extra cost.

Would you please tell me what are my optons if I want to minimize the legal hurdles and want to spend my effort only on developing software and interacting with clients?

Thanks,

EDIT: About why I quoted your reply. I strongly disagree with you about the web app. It may be fine for long term traders and investors. But it is definitely not good for short term traders (holding less than a week), intraday traders and scalpers.

1 Like

A full-fledged trading platform needs exchange approvals. The easiest way is to partner a broker, who in turn gets the platform approved at the exchange as their in-house platform. But for a broker to be able to do this, there has to be absolute trust on the platform, as any technical issues arising will be on the broker.

So yeah, you would first need to have the platform ready which works very well and is better than whatever is available in the market. Only then will the broker have the incentive to go approach the exchange for approvals.

If you have the platform ready to demo, you can write to talk@rainmatter and also to [email protected]. With us, unless it is spectacular, we would probably not be ready to partner. Every additional platform exposes the brokers to support, compliance, regulatory and security risks.

Rainmatter is really good platform that you have started to build eco system for financial market.

There is no one in finance market who take user interface seriously.

I dont know why big financial companies don’t make platform with good user interface.

1 Like

a really good user interface is difficult because the “user” is not somethimg we can generalise … in this particular area.

investers need something … scalpers need totally a different thing. people in between have many, different expectations.

it is not possible to satisfy all categories of investors & traders … with a single application. impossible… unless that single app has something like multi personality disorder. :slight_smile:

@nithin

Thank you very much. You have explained the same in different places earlier. I have seached lot of old posts I understand about the legal, regulatory complaince and the responsibility concerns.

I also get that you will not be willing to engage unless the application is “spectacular”. That is fine too.

Would you please clarify one last thing?

Are there any legal or other issues … if few, selected zerodha clients evaluate my application (kite api in backend) for a limited time period (a month or two)?

From the old posts here and from zconnect articles and kite-api forums … I believe the evaluation can be done. I just want to confirm in case I missed something.

Thanks,

On Kite Connect, we will need to enable multi-user access for you to be able to offer this to others. We will not be able to do this until there are exchange approvals. But your friends could subscribe separately to Kite connect and use the desktop app. Since we don’t know what a customer is using at his end or we are not providing this product ourselves, that’d be okay.

2 Likes

Locking multi-user access makes sense from the compliance part.

Thank you for answering patiently.

1 Like

Thanks for the effort. Sincerely appreciate the intent and also for making it open source.

If the intent is just the privacy, then why not just use epic browser ?

https://www.epicbrowser.com/

Best regards

@asharamseervi I will star it if you will built demo trading platform too for Smartphones and open source it. That will have the huge impact.

Because for privacy only few peoples will be interested in this desktop version as an user but it will have value to those who are interested in Starting their own product by levraging powers of kite api.

Great effort, downloaded and installed. Seems okay. One suggestion, I have wide screen monitor and the application does not cover in full screen.

If possible can you make application to open wide full screen mode as well.
I operate Kite web application in wide mode with the help of an extension.

@pkinani Which is the extension you use, if you can share it here?

You can install the extension on your web browser from App Store. Search zerodha in your App Store your will not miss it.