Ask me anything about becoming a good Mutual Fund investor

hai sir… I am investing in dsp blackrock natural resources and new energy fund from past one year.
i am investing 2000rs through sip.
i want to know is it good to continue in the scheme? and what might be the investment point from future point of view?

I have 30L+ cash lying in my bank account and I am to cover my monthly expenses from my monthly income.
What do you recommend for investing this idle cash.
At the moment I am investing 15K/week in 10 different MF including ELSS.

Is this too much diversification?

Hello Sir, Can you please tell me how is DSP BlackRock Tax Saver Fund for long term wealth creation (25 years)? I currently have an SIP of 5000 and wanted to know if I can top up the SIP amount annually and continue to stay invested in this fund for long term.

10 schemes is too much

Your investment s should be in following buckets

Savings account replacement - Money market funds

Fixed deposit replacement - short term funds

Long term inflation beating returns - equity funds

Each of above should have time horizons of less than a year / 1 to 5 years/ 5 yrs +

1 Like

It doesn’t matter hence monthly as you will have 12 transactions vs 48 transactions in a year

Lesser the transaction in your portfolio the better is is for your returns

Banking and PSU debt Fund

Bond Fund

Short Term fund

I can’t predict future returns

No one knows which fund will give highest returns in the future

Keeping current market environment I will recommend dsp blackrock balanced fund

Invest and forget is always the best strategy

Evaluate your asset allocation whenever markets go to extreme valuations and rebalance

Depends on your time horizon

If it’s less than 3 years, invest in short term debt funds

Around 5 years - Balanced fund

7 years plus - Equity funds

It’s a thematic fund which will have high risk and returns

Will do well when commodity and energy stocks do well - like in this cycle

I would prefer you stick to a diversified equity fund like dsp blackrock opportunities fund

My answer is yes

Investors like you are rare who have such long time horizons and that’s the real ingredient to be a successful investor

Keep it up

1 Like

Equity investments are wealth creating and need ten years time horizon - such money should go to equity funds

Debt funds are meant for short term parking / asset allocation - if horizons are 3 to 5 years - then choose debt funds

What are the signs that enables an investor to know when to switch funds and fund type? In particular what should be the exit strategy ?

What are your views about Index Funds? Should I invest in them over a medium term outlook?
They seem to give the regular returns and are extremely cost effective (very low expense ratios and exit loads)

I don’t invest in SIP but in invest regular investing monthly of around 20-25k, buying Index funds,MFs, ETFs.

sir
as nifty pe ratio is above 25 , is it right time to invest in MF or one should wait for some correction and then start investing

Hi,
I wanted to ask how a mutual fund’s average returns is calculated over the years. Lets say over the last 5 year it gave returns of 15, 20, 30, -20, 25. So. does this give an average return of 14% ((15+20+30-20+25)/5) or is it 12.4%. Can you please answer this question as nowhere could i find how it is calculated.
Thanks,

@kalpenparekh Do you actually keep money in Savings account? Or move everything out in Money Market funds

How does a mutual fund survive a market crash like 2000, 2008?

How should the split be?
Should I straight away put all 30L in Money Market Fund and slowly transfer them to Short Term Debt Fund and Equity Fund so entire corpus is transferred in 2 years?

Are infra and pharma funds at low valuations or are there any other pockets of fund that are at low valuations.

1 Like