Ask me anything about options

Hey @dexter007 ,

Tough question. If I were you I would not get out of a position unless

1. Your iron condor is making losses.
  2. You are seeing the possibility of a big move (in which case you should not have the bigger condor either, and rather have options bought)

Hey @abbanerjee - Let us logically think it through.

1. We know this happens in illiquid markets . So they bid offer is wide.

2. We know the market maker has no definite interest. He/ She thinks rangebound

3. So in a mild range- bound market let us assume you are quoting a wide bid offer, say 3 points on NIFTY. You get hit on bid and offer 10 times. Thats 30 points. and let us say that NIFTY move is very small, so any losses you might have had to take by improving the bid/ offer after one side got hit, or by covering at a loss is smaller than the 30 points.

The catch is getting hit 3 points many times. You get it hit 100 times, it is 300 points.

I guess. Again, have not done it in real life, sorry about that bit. I’m asking this to people who I know who have done that. Will get back!

yes my Iron condor will make loss due to volatility skew where I will start bleeding more in my short PUT position compared to CALL position short gain :frowning: So what you recommend at this state ? Exit or reposition ?

Hey Abid,

One more question :slightly_smiling_face:

What strategy you recommend when you know for sure the VIX will increase or there will be lots of uncertainty . This will come handy next month when there will be elections and FED announcements. Market for sure will not remain calm and may become violent. Is there any strategy which makes us money irrespective of the direction but by just based on volatility. (Delta neutral strategy may not be helpful when VIX expands like anything right so there should be something else.

@Abid_Hassan hi abid I am trading into currency options and want to develop more. What are the prospects of currency trading in India. Moreover what strategies can be explored for CD options . Need your opinions .

Currency options in India lacks liquidity.

Hey @dexter007

Depends on you view on the index. On a lot of occasions, we take MTM because vol increases. But you realize it back as higher theta incoming with passage of time. I think it all boils down to what you expect the index to do. If you think it is rangebound, might make sense to stay.

But again, now I am treading on the “advice” territory, so I will stop treading :slight_smile:

If you think there will be big movement, go for high gamma ATM options, which is basically near month. If you think there will be increase in vol, go for high vega, which is far month.

If I were you, vol increases when there is a huge downmove. So I will buy OTM puts which will benefit from vol increase. Also, the vega will increase when OTM becomes ATM, thereby giving you bigger gains on you vol increase.

Here is one catch though. When you buy a lower strike it is OTM. OTM strikes have a higher vol because vol skew. When NIFTY drops, the same OTM will now become an ATM, which means a drop in vol.

What I mean to say is let us say India VIX is 13, and a strike which is 200 points below has a vol of 15. So you bought 10300 at 13, and 10100 was at 15. (VIX = 2% skew)

NIFTY goes to 10100, sure vols will increase, VIX is now 15%. But your 10100 is now ATM, which means 10100 vol did not increase.

So you delta will need to compensate for your theta bleed.

Finally, if you need to capture violence, you need delta, or gamma. One idea is buy straddles, or buy straddles and sell the far OTM wings (butterfly)

Hey @Spaceship

Are you sure of that? I agree they dont have interbank kind of liquidity. But smaller lot sizes get decent entry exit without impact

Currency trading is actually a fairly profitable business for many institutions.

There is hardly any difference between option trading in currency and equity. One observable difference you can play with of course is the future - spot premium.

You can see that USDINR spot today is 64.57 and Dec future closed at 64.78. This premium 20 paise premium is a constantly eroding number, and this can mean something. Not going to give a view on this though :slight_smile:

Let me know if you have more specific queries, we can keep talking

Guys, thanks k your all the questions and that that concludes this AMA. We’ll have Abid for another AMA sometime in the future.

2 Likes