Ask me Anything on Trading & Investing

could you please give us a description with chart on NIFTY & OR BNKNIFTY

1 Like

Hi Karthik,

In your journey as a retail Investor, screening through the fundamental data of many companies listed on the exchange to find an investment opportunity.

How much percent of the companies listed on the Indian exchanges, do you think are really genuine ?

Hi Karthik,

Trading is all about your mindset, one mistake like getting complacent after string of winners, deviating from your plan and you can lose most of your profits. How can we minimise this,?

i am new to option trading…i had read option theory and option stratergies on zerodha varsity…but whenever i start to trade in real market i always get confused from where to start…like first selecting typical perspective about given option or stratergy for that…if there is any step wise solution please provide…

Hi Sir Karthik
please advice for Mahindra & Mahindra, is it right time to buy now as upcoming Bonus issue.
thanks

Here you go, this is for Nifty 50 chart -

Starting from left, count the first 6 circles - they kind of define the upper and lower levels of the double bottom. These are also known as the price action zone. The two horizontal lines, connect these price action zones defining the range for this double bottom. So when the price moves above this level, it is considered a breakout. A move below this level is considered a breakdown.

It is interesting to note that the price retraced back to test the upper range (7th circle), only to post a reversal.

2 Likes

Most of the listed companies are junk grade. Not worth your time. I think the investment universe is just about 1000 companies.

2 Likes

The only way you can do this by staying grounded. Do not forget to attribute a portion of your success to luck.

1 Like

Have never really tracked this stock.

thank you sir…

1 Like

Start with something simple. Try and complete a buy-sell of a call option. When you do this, be cognizant of how you placed the order, its implication, what happened once you placed, how the premium changed after you bought, what made the premium change, how did you close the position etc.

Do the same for Put options.

I know you may lose few Rupees doing this, but trust me, this is the best way to figure this out. Way better than reading a step by step instruction.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Hi Karthik,

Thanks for your valuable inputs so far. APPRECIATED.
Here is another interesting question for you.

For an individual INVESTOR to make money out of the stock markets, which is more important ?

1. Expertise in Technical Analysis. OR
  2. The Luck Factor.

I think the chances of you getting lucky is higher when you put efforts in the right direction. To put efforts in the right direction, you need to be knowledgeable.

So yes, in a sense, both are important :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Dear Karthik,

Pls elaborate on your Intraday and swing/positional trading setup.

You entry & exit points and rationales.

Hi… Thanks for AMA…

Please keep doing this more often…

I would like to know if i wanted to simply invest in stocks on basis of technical analysis…

To be more precise like MA crossover in monthly charts… which two EMA’s would you advise…

Or this idea should be dropped…

1 Like

Frankly, I’ve reduced intraday trades as I cannot afford the time it demands. I do take positional trades, mostly in options. I prefer the conservative spreads - shorting straddles and strangles is something that I do often, which means these are essentially bets on volatility.

At times, when I see the changes of an interesting breakout, I do tend to take positional naked options. The entry and exit are mainly dictated by volatility and the charts.

What is the best way to use Bracket orders ,Cover orders

Don’t drop the idea. MA crossover is a good strategy. Look at a simple 50 x 100 EMA crossover.

1 Like

Its best to use these orders when you have complete clarity on the target and SL. Use it, but ensure you double check the execution.

Hello sir… Nice to have u answer our queries :smile:
Most of d traders wud b having similar experiences like me I.e I choose a stock to short, it goes north and buy something, goes to rock bottom… Same thing happens when I exit :sob:
But I wud like to ask 3 to 4 points apart from it…

1. How do we hedge a portfolio of limited capital size say of 10 to 20k apart from diversifying it.
  2. If in case u r in profit of say 30% on abv portfolio how do u manage and minimise d drawdown?
  3. How do u analyze banking stocks :scream:
  4. Is there any possibility of zerodha providing us…
    a. Leverage on cnc order
    b. Binary option /spread order say buy or sell strangle or straddle in 1 click to enter or exit both sides simultaneously thus reducing risk and margin requirements…
    Thnx sir :slight_smile: