Big Loss in Banknifty Option..Feeling depressed

I have feelimg very much depressed and suisidal thought running through my mind.
Today i had loss 2.14L in one day.
And the still thats are held for tomorrow.
But this anxiety leads me to think lot with fear and feels like to to commit suiside

Don’t give up, my losses are 20x of your.

1 Like

Very sorry to hear about the loss @Chandrakant_Landge

I know it’s easier for other people to say don’t worry about losses but I personally know it’s tough. We’ve all been there in such situations.

Take a break for a few days or weeks from trading and focus mainly on the positive things in your life and your well-being.

If it is debt, then focus on how you can repay it consistently first, and then with funds that are not obligated towards any debt or something that you can manage with your other income, make the repayment, and only then trade with free cash that too it is not mandatory you can always make money by investing or other means.

Tough times are part of every trader’s life. But yeah no matter what suicidal thoughts are never an option. Talk to your friends and loved ones, focus on solutions rather than problems, and always put that amount in markets that you can afford to lose. No amount of money is more important than our sleep and peace of mind.

We’re all with you. Please stay away from trading for a few days and focus on the positives in life and recovering losses slowly later.

8 Likes

In my case, my overall portfolio went and funds are in negative 20 lakhs due to zerodha internal settlement system for auction. Not a single share of mine marked as auctioned. Now I have lost all the money and on top of it have to pay additional 20 lakhs as my funds are in negative.
I still can’t figure out how this happened, shares of IREDA were trading next day and no auction happened against my shares.
Zerodha settled my position on “close out price” .

That doesn’t sound right or maybe a new kind of risk. I believe auction prices are capped at 20% of the closing price. Would be interested in knowing more … Like what was the account size, when did you make the investment and probably the sequence that lead to -20L in your account.

1 Like

Please go through this thread

Being fully serious here,
Eat some good food, do something physical (gym/sports), share how you’re feeling with a friend/family member (doesn’t matter if they know the stock market or not).

1 Like

The amount you lost is your savings or your winnings?

Bt hw it hapnd?

Please leave trading for few days or forever, if it affects your sleep, its not a profession you should take, assessing risk is very important. Just stick to spreads, limited profit, limited loss, atleast it is more important than a human life. Take professional help (there are sites like mindpeers that is very affordable) and calm yourself. Take it as a mistake in life and move on.

2 Likes

Hmm. After looking at the chart, that sounds about right. The real issue is the upper circuit of 20% the next day after you shorted the stock and another 20% for cash settlement of the trade after unsuccessful auction. So the loss of Rs. 40 looks reasonable and that does add up.

However, this should result in a ~10L loss even if you were all in on this one stock. (2000000/83*40 = 963855) + Auction Penalty (2K) + Interest (Ongoing). So your account should still be +10L. Why is your account -20L??

Total 1,00,2001 share settled at 40 rupees higher then sell price of 82 per share so total loss is 40,08,0040 . Sell price was 82 and settled price was 122. That’s why

The question here is share was trading next day and hit upper circuit post auction. The the question is how none of my share auctioned. How can I cross verify that? Any one has any clue. NSE didn’t settle auction by each client then it’s zerodha who settle internally. The on what basis they didn’t consider me then others??

Ok. Diff. qty. Understood.

Well, first of all, because there is no “my share” in your account. You were short. And in auction market the one who “has shares”, determines the price they are willing to sell, which will obviously be the worst case scenario for you. In your case, they were not even willing to sell that because during the auction market stock was already hovering around 114 to 123 range (back to back gaps ups). Why will they sell it to you in auction market when they can just sell it in the open market for the same price. And if they really want, they will surely love to squeeze another 20% higher than current market price. (Rs. 146.5).

Also, your line of questioning seems to imply as if your broker is against you. But it’s actually the other way round. At this stage, the broker is actually defaulting and has already cash settled to the other party. It may or may not be able to recover the sum from you. So they go -ve until you settle. My point is, it was in their interest to get the short delivered in auction market. Unfortunately, it was highly unlikely for the reason mentioned in the first point around the way stock moved on the upside.

What happened, only exchange / broker can tell. Not sure if auction market data is publicly available except for list of securities available for auction herein - https://www.nseindia.com/all-reports.

Hope this helps.

The upper circuit for very next day was 102, and at the time of auction 2-2:45 it was under 100.

Zerodha is not providing details about settlement process. They are giving reference of rules which I already went through.

I wasn’t the single person who short sell that day na, they might be others, then on what basis zerodha is settling auction. As per my understanding Exchange shares auction report with brokers which we don’t have access of.

The auction data available on NSE can’t help in this case.

It’s zerodha internal mechanism who decided.

1 Like

I already have paid 70% of the due btw

Ok. Yeah … But who would like to auction the shares they have, if the stock in open market is hitting back to back upper circuit. No-one. It was very unlikely to have your short delivered in auction market. Hope you catch my drift.

Basis is off-course - cash settlement with their 20% higher rule (When does cash settlement happen to close out short delivery?).

But if I get your question right, you are saying that if zerodha as a broker was short 10 shares (on behalf of its clients) from 2 different clients (one with 6 shorts and other with 4 shorts) and gets delivered 6 shares in auction market, how does it decide which client to cater and which client to cash settle? Is this your question?

If so, that’s an interesting question to ask - for exchange / broker. How is this priority decided?

1 Like

Yes that’s the point how zerodha has decided?

See, if there are no sellers willing to sell the share in auction, you won’t get the share. If a 100 Rs. stock continuously hit’s UC for 5 days, then stock price will become 248, and you have to buy at 248 now. You lose 148 rs. / share on this trade.

Through auction you have chances of getting the share after market closes, but in case there are not enough sellers you have no option but to wait for the next day.

I am aware of all this, my concern is how zerodha is deciding whom to settle with share and whom with close out