Can I use shorting as a strategy to long term investment? And how to do?

I am a long term growth investor. I buy stock for dividend and hold for long time of 3+ years. To deviate a bit and with BREXIT done, I was thinking of another method where I can short the stock on long term basis and make profit. If I have to do such a method then how can it be done?

1 Like

Yeah, why not?

Many hedge fund managers use shorting for benefiting from price margin.

Best example for this is housing recession in US. 

A movie named The big short is also released for same. Would suggest you to watch that movie to get a good view on how you can gain from shorting in long term.

Movie is all about 4 denizens in the world of high-finance predict the credit and housing bubble collapse of the mid-2000s, and decide to take on the big banks for their greed and lack of foresight.​

In 2005, eccentric hedge fund manager Michael Burry discovers that the U.S. housing market is extremely unstable, being based on high risk subprime loans.​

Must watch it.image

Investing on Shorting in Indian stocks is not an option as of now, well if you can create a new portfolio of commodities, then yes you can take positional trades from 3 months to 1 year time period to gain in shorting commodities.