Can someone clarify between Pre market and After market order execution?

@siva
@Karthik
@nithin

This is what I found on zerodha.com

During the pre-market session for the first 8 minutes (between 9:00 AM and 9:08 AM) orders are collected, modified or cancelled. Than it says After 9.08 AM to 9.15 AM no new orders can be placed, orders placed are matched and trades confirmed. So technically you can place orders only for the first 8 minutes and only on equity.

To my understanding if you try to place order between 9 to 9.15 it will be rejected than why it says you can place order between 9 to 9.08 am?

Further about AMO
AMO is allowed only between 3:45 PM and 8:59 AM for equity. Here the question is if I place an order between this window lets say 8.30 am …what is the exact time it will be executed ? will it be 9.15 or between pre-market session window 9.00 to 9.08 am?

1. Pre-market session is an auction market. Only one trade takes place between 9:07-9:08 AM which decides the opening price of the stock. You can place orders during this time. If your order is not executed in pre-market, it is passed on as a regular order for normal trading session 9:15 onwards.

2. AMO will be submitted to the exchange during pre-open. Exact time of sending to exchange depends on how many other users have placed AMOs before you. They are sent on first come first serve basis. Execution depends on your order price and trade volume and similar factors.

Once am AMO is submitted, it becomes just a regular order. No difference

1 Like