Can't the brokers ever do something for retailers?

I don’t know how to really express this but it’s just a thorn in my heart that how much of a lack of voice retailers have in the market. Like everything is just forced upon us and we have to oblige with it. Everything is decided for us and we don’t have a say in it. And I am sure everyone can relate to what it feels to be kept silenced and simply obey. Probably you have been through that at some point in life. And all this has just been going under ‘you know who’. Not saying that they aren’t doing a good job but really, retailers aren’t even allowed to catch a breath. Hardly days go by that a new restrictive rule is imposed on us. It’s just too much take if you are someone who makes a living out of this thing. Already, the participation of retailers isn’t that good when you consider how many out of the total population actually participate in the market. And that number too is dwindling, if we look at long term trends. It is kinda worrisome cause that simply indicates how much of a lack of scope this particular occupation has. It just makes me wonder why can’t brokers help their clients for once. I mean yeah there’s nothing between the client and the broker, everything is done online and all that matters is whether the broker makes money or not. But ultimately, doesn’t it somehow affect the intermediatieries’ pockets too? Closer to the truth it seems that retail clients are indeed worth peanuts. I mean, technically, brokers are well off enough that they can move on to other financial businesses and the big players provide enough liquidity to the market. Retail clients are not needed exactly but it’s just something to wonder.

Anyway, what I have to offer is the fruit of my research. What I have formulated is basically a framework that is in line with regulator’s policies and best practices around the world while at the same time also being somewhat friendly to retailers. But it’s only a tad worth of relaxation that this framework could provide. What it does basically is that it takes some of the bulk off the current framework and keeps only the essentials.

But the problem is, like I said earlier, I as a retailer don’t have a say in things. Even if I have a good idea that could benefit the so called ‘risk management system’, it’s never gonna reach the higher ups. Unless of course the mediator between us and them which is the broker could advocate on our behalf, if it wants to obviously.
Ignore this thread is you want to but I am just letting my word out. I’ll find some other way otherwise to have my voice reached.

3 Likes

The lack of a response has answered my plead. A dog who becomes king is still a dog. And a wolf who must scour to eat is still a wolf.

Fine, I will do it myself.

I agree with you, they must hear retail investors.

1 Like

You haven’t even shared your research or a fruit of it. How can anybody respond?

1 Like

@Gautam you really took your time putting out a long paragraph to raise an argument against my conviction on the current state of the trading industry and I appreciate your efforts. But that ends there.

From the way you have raised your arguments, you seem to be not getting essentially what the rationality of my discontent is. So I will try to address that.

Now, this arguement of yours that assumes that everything that happens in this world is a result of natural order which we all know is not. Some consequences are a result of an individual or a group or an organization and I firmly believe that if such a body has done wrong to you and you are grieved by it, then why not seek rederessal and rectify the problem. The examples that you have given above are a result of natural causes and yeah there’s no one you can blame for those problems. But even in those scenarios, your grievance which obviously wouldnt be yours alone can be resolved if you set out to mitigate the related aspects of the problem. So, it’s really more like ‘striving for something better’ rather than sitting back and adapt.

I wasn’t being nihilistic in the first place. Its obvious you are gonna adapt to the current situation and strive for the best outcome. But is adapting enough? Really? Wouldn’t you think of the greater good and have best outcomes happen for everyone? If the government was being proactive in controlling the pandemic, are you gonna let that slide? Think about it.

This doesn’t relate to my argument at all cause there is no party involved causing you to suffer. It is the individual himself causing that suffering from a lack of reality check.

Yes, retailers at large are the ones affected by the system, not just me, and that doesnt make it any less of a problem. And yeah, just because we are alive doesn’t mean we have to go through unecessary troubles.

I think you completely misunderstood my point here. I was just trying to convey that the intermediatieries including the brokers probably should worry about a dent being caused in their pockets. Also, I considered in my next point the possibility that perhaps it wouldn’t matter a dime to them and hence the apparent apathy being shown towards us.

That just seems unfounded considering the fact that more movies and TV shows are produced these days than ever before.

Only more of a reason why people should come together and try to address the issue at hand.

Liquidity is one reason. But otherwise it’s just sad to see like minded people from the same background as yourself leave the playing field.

This is my proposed margin framework. This is for ACC, just for an example.

If we can make things better while containing the same degree of risk/dangers, then no one’s getting shorter out of that.

It’s not a level playing field. Because the current framework essentially pushes retailers into buying options which carry tremendous risk to their financial capital. Options are the hardest thing to trade in the market, intraday being second hardest and futures being the easiest. But what’s really happening is that current regulations make it extremely restrictive to trade the last 2. So what’s the average Joe gonna do? They are gonna buy options and then we all know what happens. What I am saying is that it would be a level playing field if all the products were equally enticing.

That’s not the only thing actually. One other thing is the lot size. I feel that the lot sizes aren’t standardised at all. There is huge range within which lot sizes are allowed to be. It just creates a wide variance on the risk that you are exposed to in different scrips. And yes, margin is also something that I feel needs improvement and for good reason.

I think you kinda misunderstood here. The margin framework I proposed was for futures itself. And of course same margins can’t be applied to every scrip. Each scrip is gonna have it’s own margin requirement. That’s a given. The excel document I posted above only serves an example for a particular scrip, of course it’s gonna be different for each scrip.

Im new to trading, I might not understood your point exactly but, in my opinion, There is always a way. if retailer has less money, then we need to pool Money, if pooling is not enough, we should start our own small institution. or work in institute as floor trader or senior.

All we need to focus on learning, developing skill and making profits consistently.
We Lost when we stop Fighting.

1 Like

well jobbers used to strike but then rhe exchange started computer trading :slight_smile: