Cash Component Clarification

Couldn’t find equity MFs on kotak pledge list on their website. Please do let us know what are the options where brokers don’t ask for 50-50 cash margin rule for intraday margin utilisation and allow equity MFs as pledge. TIA.

Until now, Zerodha has been charging DPC on upfront margin shortfall (against the regulation). And even after raising a ticket, questioning here on TQnA and tagging @nithin and team multiple times, I never received a response (for over a month now).

Yesterday, I got a DM from one of the mods telling me they’re working on a refund for me. If the issue being discussed on this thread is a new development, I guess they are making up for the anticipated revenue loss from the upfront margin shortfall penalty in the form of DPC, which they have been charging till now.

I can’t stress more on the need to check your fund statements at least once a month. I wonder what % of zerodha’s profit figures are DPC collected by going against the regulation.

https://www.kotaksecurities.com/securities-accepted-as-collateral/nc-mutual-fund.html

Buying is allowed. But I am referring to this pledge list on their website where they have mentioned the respective haircuts. I am unable to find any equity MFs approved for pledging. Mutual Fund Margin

check this link - click here

https://www.kotaksecurities.com/securities-accepted-as-collateral/nc-mutual-fund.html

I pasted wrong link, sorry. Above is correct

1 Like

I think if its not roll back , than Majority of Zerodha’s business is gone!!

@Meher_Smaran can you comment on this. Its creating a lot of confusion

1 Like

Thanks @AlgoEye and @viswaram.

Do not jump ship without full research. A few things in Kotak are not ideal for the new generation traders.

I don’t wanna leave Z but this implementation has left me no choice, I can’t sell my Debt funds for cash equivalent as i will loose my indexation benefits as i bought them before 31st march 2023. I will loose majority of profits with interest charges.

What few things are not ideal there, apart from glitches ?

1. You cannot short strikes > 15% range
  2. Basket orders are not available on the NEST terminal
  3. Equity has a 0.25% brokerage
  4. To redeem a pledged mutual fund transferred from other brokers, you have to send 2 emails - first to unpledge it and then to redeem it. Since the response to the email takes 24hrs, the entire process will take a while.

But ZERO intraday F&O brokerage - lets not forget that :wink:
Also if you are under 30 - ZERO brokerage for every damn thing.

If you pledge the cash equivalents then there is no DPC / Interest Charges
Why to sell them then?

Isn’t that the case in Zerodha as well. If you are holding Debt MF, you would first need to unpledge and then sell them the next day. The instant sell without unpledging is only limited to equities. Isn’t that correct?

Yup, but i have only 10-20 % as CASH equivalent. Had i known this before 31st March 2023 i would have plan better. Govt gave only 2 days to plan just how Zerodha gave 2 hours.No body care for customers in this country!! Effective Immediatily wala culture hai

It’s all for your good only boys :smile:

Just received a mail from Zerodha.
Summary is “We will notify you of any decision to charge interest on intraday positions in advance.”

Since this email has led to confusion, please refer to this post clarifying the same

Received the mail regarding the same.
Thank you!

1 Like