CNC / MIS : Selling full holding on NSE and buying back on BSE concerns

As per this zerodha article, it is mentioned that:

If you hold shares of a company that is listed in both the exchanges, you can sell it on one exchange and buy it back on a different exchange. Even if these trades are in the CNC category, all charges , including the STT, will be applicable according to intraday trades.

Now, please make me understand based on this scenario:

I hold 100 qty. of X in demat. If I do the following on SAME trading DAY, how will it be settled (CNC/Intraday,qty.)?
I want to avoid intraday at all costs.

1. Sell off complete holding of 100 qty. at 11am on NSE. Buy back 100 qty. at 1PM on BSE.
  2. Sell 50 qty. at 11am on NSE. Buy 100 qty. at 1PM on BSE.
  3. Sell 50 qty. at 11am on NSE. Buy 30 qty. at 1PM on BSE.

Please explain…

1 Like

This will be considered an intraday trade. The sell obligation of 100 shares on NSE will be netted-off against the buy obligation of 100 shares on BSE.

In a scenario, where you have sold 50 shares on NSE and bought 100 on BSE, 50 shares will be considered as an intraday trade. While net 50 shares will be credited to your holdings.

Similarly for the later scenario: 50 sold on NSE and 30 bought on BSE. 30 shares will be considered as an intraday trade. While net 20 shares will be sold from your holdings.

4 Likes

Oh I see, I mistakenly thought trades on different exchanges with CNC code overrode intraday but actually considered as MIS subject to quantity.

Conclusion: To avoid MIS, have to transact next trading day irrespective of holding and quantity or exchanges.

Thanks @ShubhS9