COIN Cut-off time vs Groww App Cut off time

I agree with @rupeshmandal.

Technical limitations/issues SHOULD NOT drive the requirements of the customers/clients.

I have seen many products to this.

While I understand your limitations around technical hiccups, your above argument appears to be escapist. There is equivalent tonne of research that says most investors (super large SWFs to tiny retail) would be better off investing in ETFs instead of a jamboree of investment alternatives currently used. Despite this, there is a healthy and active market for direct investments, advisor / manager fraternity because we all believe we are better than everyone else.

As regards cut off times, all what has been asked for is parity with others. If one were to extend your argument, it should not make a difference to an investor if the cut off time is 9.30 am the day before or 2 days before - except in this case you would have seriously disgruntled customers.

To each his own and if an investor expects a certain cut off time for reasons best known to him, then its a fair ask.

1 Like

No issues! Those who have the ability to understand, and can act on it have got the message; loud and clear. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It needs to be this level so that bhuvanesh can understand the issue.

@sabyasachi_sadhu brother, do you even understand the meaning of EQUALITY?

I gave this simple example of lunch time to make Zerodha team understand how does discrimination feel if others can order lunch till 3PM but you can only order till 1:30 PM. Can we please stick the discussion on this ground only without giving any excuse or digressing from the topic.

Talking about Equality, when SEBI guidelines say MF orders can be placed till 3 PM why is Zerodha restricting the investors to place an order by 1:30 PM latest. This is an inequality and discrimination. And it’s my right to ask the question to Zerodha.

@nithin please intervene and respond officially.

1 Like

@sabyasachi_sadhu Thank you for understanding and agreeing with me on the “Equality” in terms of the cut-off timing as per SEBI guidelines. I also want Zerodha to grow. But Zerodha can’t decide for the customers and set a different cut-off time at 1:30 PM when SEBI says 3 PM cut-off time for placing an order. That too when all other MF platforms are complying with it. This is all my submission.

Now, awaiting a response from @nithin

Like Bhuvan has mentioned, there are technical limitations that we have in offering direct mutual funds in the way we do - direct mutual funds in demat form using the money in the trading account. And this has got nothing to do with how many people work on our team, throwing more people doesn’t mean that you can solve problems.

That said, SEBI has asked platforms like us to switch to using money from bank and not directly from trading when purchasing MF. So in the next few months we will have to switch slightly the way Coin works. It makes it slightly tough for our team to support, but it will solve for all the issues that you have pointed.

2 Likes

That means the money will be directly credited to our bank account after mutual fund redemption?

Yes.

1 Like

@nithin Will it be only applicable for MF purchase or Equity delivery orders too? If I am not wrong, we are already waiting for IDFC 3-in-1 account to kick in where we don’t have to transfer funds to Trading account first before placing an order. It would seamlessly utilise funds automatically from the IDFC savings account (Like how HDFC Securities, ICICI Direct work). It was the sole reason I opened an IDFC account and made it my primary bank on Zerodha.

Also, I too want to switch my MF portfolio to Coin. So that all my investments are in one place. It would help me keep a track of capital gains, plan tax harvesting, rebalance and set-offs in a better way. But the reasons I had mentioned earlier are stopping me to do so.

I hope the Coin changes is for good.

Ah, you still don’t use Coin :slight_smile:

yeah, the plan is to get to an ICICI direct kind of integration.

2 Likes

I do have made some MF investments through Coin. To test the water. Otherwise, how would I have first hand experience to understand the pain points. My investment on Coin is hardly 10% of my overall portfolio which is with another MF platform.

You know many Coin users like me would be analysing their MF portfolio on these other MF platforms where you can import PAN based investment holdings. It’s only recently Console holding insights got a bit better (still there are bugs which I have already brought to your notice in an earlier thread).

Apart from these MF, everything else of mine is in Demat form. Including my insurance policies which are with CDSL eIA.

So if the said drawbacks of Coin are resolved, I would be more than happy to switch to Coin. Though migrating existing MF to Demat is an expensive affair and is a time consuming process. More so with the case of ELSS funds.

@sabyasachi_sadhu that’s your opinion because you are just another Zerodha user like me, nothing more, nothing less, and India is a free country to express yourself.

Having said that, in a fitting reply to your hate or offensive comment, I would just say - Happy Valentine’s Day!

You guys can argue elsewhere, closing this thread for the time being.

2 Likes

Thank you @Bhuvan for reopening this thread for discussion.

Recently, SEBI changed the cut-off times for placing an order to AMCs. More details https://www.amfiindia.com/

But now Zerodha has set a blanket cut-off time at 11.30 am for placing mutual fund orders which is 2 hours earlier than the stipulated time by SEBI.

Earlier too, Zerodha coin had cut-off time at 1:30 pm when SEBI allowed till 3 PM. But now with the 11:30 am deadline, it is too soon, and the investor may not be able to make an informed decision, and given such volatility in the market, the decision may even prove wrong within an hour.

I humbly request the Zerodha team to look into it and just be in sync with the cut-off timings as directed by SEBI. That’s all I want to say.

We will.

Any update on using money directly from Bank Account feature?

SEBI has asked platforms like us to switch to using money from bank and not directly from trading when purchasing MF. So in the next few months we will have to switch slightly the way Coin works.

It has been over an year now, and Coin still uses money from the Zerodha account. Has there been any update on this from SEBI’s end?

Having money deducted & refunded from the bank account directly would simplify things I feel, so this was a step in the right direction. Not sure why it wasn’t worked on.