Covered call in Kite Zerodha

The margin requirement will be the same as it is for selling an option. You can check the margin requirements here or on the order window on Kite.

The margin you receive from pledging underlying shares will depend on the haircut value of the shares. You can check the haircut for all the securities here.

2 Likes

Thanks Shubh for your reply.
Could you please tell me the procedure to pledge underlying share in order to execute covered call option
Thanks

1 Like

Hey @apurv_siddharth

You can check on this link to know the procedure on Pledging

My knowledge is limited. What I see I understand better. Well I also understand what I am explained :slight_smile: As of today the 20th of Jan 24 I hold upwards of 4200 shares of ICICI Bank. Having written calls for 4200 shares @ 1070 CE Feb at say 15 the CE has jumped to 18.45 and my account shows a loss of say ~13000 then going by the volatility of CE 1070 if call is well, deep in the money before expiry then how is my underlying protecting me ? What if there is a margin call trigger and I keep pumping money (not sure about this particular point) ? Well what is my equity holding good for ? Why won’t it be squared off at source ? My holdings are in the same Zerodha account. Why isn’t there an auto cover without involving money. My share is capping my risk how (and upside beyond 1070) ? Why will I not receive an assignment notice or an early assignment notice (if there is such a thing in nse - I don’t know) and the settlement is done automatically - option premium + capped upside @1070 (minus my underlying purchase price) x number of shares.The losses shown as 13000 today and maybe 60000 (or however high the number is) in case the underlying is at say 1130 is a wrong representation. If there is no assignment notice from the broker relayed via exchange then what is my supposed “covered call” good for ? The mechanism explained by others in response to Mr Bhushan may work well for pure options trading but not for someone looking to protect his underlying through option / call writing with a margin for profit baked in case of an upward price movement. Option premium linked P&L is options “Trading” and not a P&L linked to “covered calls”.
I am a learner so please correct me if I am wrong. Add to my knowledge.

1 Like

You’ve mentioned some good points which the OP wasn’t factoring in his posts atleast…

Covered Call is just a strategy, exchange and brokerage rules are not made keeping strategies in mind but stability of the overall system also…

For e.g. What if this budget day there is another Sitaraman Candle type announcements and everything shoots up 10-20% and the option greeks/high IVs kick in and the Call option prices just sky rocket and one is sitting on a huge MTM loss much more that the amount of shares held in account… That’s where I think the 50% cash collateral requirement comes in so that the trades/losses can be settled etc etc.

Zerodha team/experts pls correct me if I am wrong :pray:

@Bhushan_Nikhar Any breakthrough here? @nithin does Zerodha’s product team have this in roadmap to make options (covered) more efficient? I also hold lots and lots of stock but need to have margin for every covered call which is absolutely inefficient to trade and makes no sense.

To add: other brokers are the same, does no one understand covered calls?

You can pledge your same stocks to get upto 50% margin. The good thing is that if your covered call gets ITM during expiry, your pledged shares will be delivered to the counterparty, as long as you have debit instruction correctly set up.

Do you mean DDPI enabled or something else?

Yes, either DDPI enabled or you need to authorize your debits on expiry day if your covered call expires ITM.

1 Like

@dcd I have a partially covered call with Rel (184 shares in demat vs 250 lot size). If it expires ITM, will 66 shares be purchased or a full lot will be purchased for shortfall?

Hi @aaridrakamanu

As much as I’m aware, your holdings (whether pledged or not) will definitely be considered to meet the physical delivery requirement, and only the shortfall will be purchased from auction markets etc. But I will suggest you not to let it go to auction (it is quite costly) and purchase any remaining shares from the market on expiry day itself just before 3:30 pm

1 Like

Great suggestion, thank you!