Debt Funds Taxation Confusion

Today I Come under Lower Tax Slab (Student)

But After 3-5 Years When I Will come under Higher Tax Bracket (After Getting Job) will The Debt Funds Will be Taxes at My Tax Slab of Year of Investment or Tax Slab of Year of Redemption

This rule to tax debt funds at slab rate is applicable from April 1st, 2023. So, any investment before this will only attract 20% after indexation even if you move to higher tax bracket.

3-5 years is a long time and I hope you get into the highest possible tax bracket by then. :slight_smile: Best wishes, @SarthakD

1 Like

So if someone doesn’t have an income and essentially being in no tax bracket will pay almost 0 tax till the 5L profit?

And this applies to International funds as well?

@Quicko

It is about the income, not the way the income is generated. So whichever a person gets the income, if it does not fall under a tax slab, no tax.

then maybe its time to open an demat on my mom’s name and pay no tax. :wink:

Yes you can, but this helps only to a certain extent, until the slab is reached. If you are making more profits, then there will be some tax.

Hi @ranton137 ,

Yes, if your total taxable income is below the exemption limit, then, you’re not required to pay any taxes.

These debt funds may include gold mutual funds, international equity mutual funds, hybrid funds, etc. Hence, it applies to international funds as well.

Only applicable If investments are made on or after April 1, 2023.

Is the coming change only applicable to Debt mutual funds or also extend to Debt ETFs and direct government bonds??

If i Invest After 1st April,
Let’s Consider in May Month (After The New Rules come into implementation)
Then will i be Taxed according to Tax Slabs of Investment year or Tax Slab Redemption Year?
@Meher_Smaran @Quicko

You will be taxed as per your income in the year of your redemption.

1 Like