Does it makes sense to take loan on FD and then invest in markets?

If someone is so convinced then invest directly into market rather investing into fd and take loan against it. It is not wise at all

There are only 27 who have responded. And there are more like me who have the same opinion but don’t comment. I had earlier read the other post too and decided not to reply. Now I am little bored on a Saturday. :grin:

So now let me be 28th.

I have been in the market for 4 years now. On my capital invested I have made 39.2percent XIRR if I consider the value of my account as on yesterday.
This portfolio includes 30 percent of debt instruments. And we know debt instruments give lesser returns. Yet I am not tempted to redeem my debt instruments and divert it to fno and equity. Moreover I am eligible for loan easily but I havent taken any.
If I am beating benchmark indices I keep telling myself that I am due for a big fall. Nobody is smarter than the markets.
All that I am saying what all are saying is, investment should come out of your savings.
This is just an advice. I don’t think anybody over here is jealous of you to stop u from becoming rich.
Ultimately its your money. So your call.

3 Likes

Simple answer is no.

There’s only one way to find out :wink:

always good to invest only spare money , See in market debt company no one will show interest to invest ,
taking a loan and investing in the market is an very bad idea , , DEBT is always bad for company and individual person , and a country also

There is a possibility that the market may not make 15% even after 20 years.

There is no iron clad rule that in the long run the markets will always go up.

Bear markets can exist way longer than you think…maybe even across decades

Apart from great depression, was there any other decade with bear market?

Would you still fear about “bear” market? In general market has gone up and will go up.
More money is lost in anticipation of bear market than the bear market itself.

It is not a question of fearing. I still think stocks are a good place to put money.

But making vague statements like market goes up over long term is not necessarily correct.

If you invested in the Japanese stocks in the 1980s you still wouldn’t make money today. Similarly there were periods in the 60s (took about 10 years to recover)to where the US markets didnt do well. And as you mentioned the great depression.

You are also assuming that FD rates will continue to be low and stocks will go high. The reverse can also happen, so in that case taking a loan may not make sense.

Point I am trying to make is you should keep in mind anything is possible in the stock market.

I disagree with most of the answers. It is definitely a good idea to take loan and invest in stocks. The catch is that it only works if you are already a multimillionaire. They do it all the time by playing a very complex game managing their diversified portfolio. And the loan they take would usually be a fraction of their net-worth. Since you are just starting out, it will be a really bad idea to do this approach. As Buffet says the No: 1 rule of stock market is to never lose money. Always consider the worst scenario. If you run your model 100 times, your strategy might atleast breakeven roughly 80 percent of the time, but the other 20 percent is long term financial ruin. If you take a loan and the market crashes 40 percent. The kind of stocks you pick are likely to crash even more in a crisis. You’ll get in deep financial trouble. If you are okay with the said risks and understand it fully, you can definitely go and take a loan. Your risk tolerance is pretty high, I would say. Keep some emergency fund handy and only take the loan that you can afford to repay even if market closes down for the next 5 years. Good luck bro.

What do you mean by saying you disagree with most answers when in fact you are endorsing what all of us here have been saying that it is not a good idea.

what complex game do they play?

1 Like

A good idea for us might not be what’s a good idea for him. Taking a debt to invest in equity is not something you or I would do. But as long as he fully understands the risks involved, he can go ahead and do it.

This article can give you a broad understanding of how they do it.

1 Like