Does US have fno ban rule?

Recently gamestop GME surged more than 60% in a day due to short squeeze as per the reports there were more shorts than no. of outstanding shares.

Does anyone know if SEC has fno ban rule like we have here?

there must beā€¦ maybe you should try searching on internet :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: i tried after reading your question but everything comes up related to our marketsā€¦ :joy:

maybe @Prayag can helpā€¦ he can find data from anywhere :grinning:

1 Like

@FancyyCosmonautt I also search for things on the internet :sweat_smile:

Regarding @Rohan_K question, from what I could find/understand, I donā€™t think there is a concept of market-wide position limits or F&O ban in the US (but there is an exercise limit and position limit). Gamestop is likely the best example to explain this. Currently, that company has around 70 Million shares outstanding in total. But currently, around 141% of its shares have been borrowed and shorted. On 22nd January 2021 alone, 913,000 call options were traded (As each underlying option contract size is 100 shares, that would mean around 91.3 million shares). Found this data from the following article -

Also came across a Reddit thread in which a possibility of infinite short squeeze was also considered -

In case you are want to find out definitively if a concept of something like F&O ban is there in SEC regulations, then going through this document would likely be helpful.

5 Likes

What are the chances of this type of frenzy happening in Indian markets?

There are examples like ALOKIND, TANLA, RUCHI where the price was driven higher mainly by ā€˜operatorsā€™.
Can retailers revolt against the market makers?

In related terms, do you think there are enough controls in place by SEBI?