Everything you need to know about the merger of HDFC Ltd. with HDFC Bank

Since the HDFC Ltd. shares are being suspended from tomorrow, the collateral margin recieved against these will be removed. Once you get the shares of HDFC Bank, you will have to pledge them manually.

It’s still shown under console.

Just to check I tried to pledge it. It says this instrument is not available for pledging.
So there is nothing that I have to do right.
Just confirming. @ShubhS9

Nope, you don’t have to do anything.

1 Like

I have 3 shares of hdfc bank…how much share i will receive?

1 Like

You are eligible for 5.04 shares (42 / 25 = 1.68 x 3 = 5.04). 5 shares will be credited to your account, while 0.04 will be fractional and for this equivalent amount will be credited to your primary bank account.

2 Likes

If you have 3 shares of HDFC Bank you won’t recieve anything you will just have them and you can trade them anytime. Only HDFC shares are being delisted and you will get HDFC Bank shares instead.

Why HDFC Bank market cap is still just 9 lakh crore?

it will take time to update until listing. The hdfc shareholders dont have anything in their demats yet.

@ShubhS9 What will be the taxation impact on the amount received for the fractional equivalent?

If its taxable, then under which head?

1. Capital Gains (if yes then what will be the buy price)
  2. Income from Other Sources
    Or some other way?

Thanks

Can anyone brief about what will happen to tax

If hdfc share are part of long term holdings then will recieved hdfc bank be part of long term holdings

I have both long term as well as short term holdings of hdfc

How much tax I will need to pay
Long term avg holdings price > 2000

Short term avg holdings price> 2500

Hdfc closed at 2724 on last day of trading

We handle mergers by assigning the total investment value of the previous company to new shares that you’ll get through the merger i.e Average price = Total investment value in HDFC divided by HDFCBANK merger shares.

If you get HDFCBANK merger shares, the date of acquisition will be the same as the previous company i.e. HDFC. If you hold partially in STCG and LTCG, the same will reflect under the new holdings breakdown. When you sell the shares, respective taxes are applicable.

for tax purpose your purchase price of HDFC and date of purchase only matter. suppose your purchase price of 25 hdfc was say 1 lakh rs ( 4000 per share)now it will be purchase price of 42 HDFC bank .(2381 per share) …

And when I start selling hdfc bank shares first short term holdings will get first in the queue. And then after long term right?

Its as per FIFO, so long-term holdings are sold first, then short-term holdings.

1 Like

Funny to ask
just came into my mind
Is cdsl taking any DP charges?

1 Like

@Quicko can you assist, please.

Weightage of stocks in the Nifty 50, before and after the HDFC merger

1 Like

Hdfc Bank shares allotted to erstwhile shareholders of HDFC can be traded from 17 July 2023…

13 July was record date means listed after just one working day …fastest ever listing of a merger entity even though resulting co too is listed .
https://www.bseindia.com/markets/MarketInfo/DispNewNoticesCirculars.aspx?page=20230714-65

We need the hdfc merger and RIL demerger weightage :smiley:

I was holding these shares in pledged condition with Zerodha. How these shares will be handled ?