F&O trade as Pvt. Ltd

Reserve Bank of India - Frequently Asked Questions.

1. What does conducting financial activity as “principal business” mean?

Financial activity as principal business is when a company’s financial assets constitute more than 50 per cent of the total assets and income from financial assets constitute more than 50 per cent of the gross income. A company which fulfils both these criteria will be registered as NBFC by RBI. The term ‘principal business’ is not defined by the Reserve Bank of India Act. The Reserve Bank has defined it so as to ensure that only companies predominantly engaged in financial activity get registered with it and are regulated and supervised by it. Hence if there are companies engaged in agricultural operations, industrial activity, purchase and sale of goods, providing services or purchase, sale or construction of immovable property as their principal business and are doing some financial business in a small way, they will not be regulated by the Reserve Bank. Interestingly, this test is popularly known as 50-50 test and is applied to determine whether or not a company is into financial business.

So if your pvt ltd company income is more than 50% from any financial activity (including investing in startups), then you need to register as NBFC.

Thanx for clearing the confusion :grin::grin:

Does One Person Company can open trading and demat account with Zerodha?

Yes, you can. The process is the same as opening a Corporate account. The account cannot be opened online, so you will have to follow the offline process. You can check out the process here.

All the rules like 50:50 income and asset are same as private limited company. right?

I have OPC export company and I want to trade from that company.

Yes, the requirements are same as private limited company. Would also suggest you consult your CA too. Also, can you DM me your contact details, will have someone from our team reach out to you and assist.

Futures and options income is treated as business income, so shouldn’t that be exempted from being treated as financial assets?