Help ! Multi-monitor setup with laptop extended display not working

I think this might be a good solution.

This will work if you have displayport in your laptop. You will also need a displayport1.2 to mini display port adaptor to make this work. Then you can connect the monitors that support display port or get displayport to HDMI cables. Total cost is about the same as

Which I think has better reviews.

Multi-display is very necessary if you do programatic trading I think. In most other cases, I think humanly its very difficult to keep track of more than 2 displays.

1 Like

6 Monitors . . .single card. . .good for Stock mkt. Traders . . .
one can go for lower end cards as well . .

1 Like

Your welcome. Let me know what Laptop you have, I can suggest some option w.r.t. docking station.

@naveengarg I have Lenovo Z570, I already ordered Dell D3100 docking station (and its on the way). Laptop has an Intel HD 3k Graphics, Dell D3100 recommends 4k i know but that i think for HD streaming videos. For stockcharts, should possibly work. What do u say?

@kingsmasher1: Please also put down your review and experience setting up the docking station for everyone to benifit.

1 Like

Oh, you have consumer laptop? Current Lenovo option may not suits your purpose until you have Thinkpad series

1 Like

@naveengarg Oh, ok. is it because of the 3k video configuration? In the worst case i might need to use my office laptop which is Dell-Latitude E6430.

This is what I found:

“Lenovo does make two docks that are “universal” docks. The ThinkPad USB-C Dock - US and the ThinkPad OneLink + Dock. The latter says it’s “X1 Carbon (4th Gen), X1 Yoga and Yoga 260” so perhaps it wouldn’t work, but the former says it " is a new universal docking solution ensuring a productive workstation.” It connects via a “USB Type-C”

I have a personal Lenovo Y520 and an official P50 (max out configuration with docking station)

Take a look at below. Kind of universal docking station from Lenovo. May not be available in India.

https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/docking/universal-cable-docks-usb/Thinkpad-USB-C-Dock/p/40A90090US

1 Like

@naveengarg ok, thanks. The Dell D3100 docking station is it vendor specific? I mean does it works with only Dell laptops?
I have no intentions of buying laptops at least for next 6-7 months (provided my office which is Dell-Latitiude E6430 at least works on this D3100 docking station) but just wanted to make sure, so that i don’t spend uselessly on laptops next time.

Yes, it does seems to be a universal docking station. I would suggest to check out at any store for your self just to verify.

There are two type of docking station,

1. Hold the the laptop itself along with a keylock.
  2. The other will connect to the laptop using a specific port (USB3.0 or Type C)

Hope this helps

2 Likes