How Disclosed Quantity Order is different from Iceberg order?

Iceberg order which means those who are buying large number of share ( like institutional trader’s ) for them only its available  in the market, they can divide the orders into smaller parts so public can see only limited orders at a time, the iceberg order reduces the price movements in stock supply & demand

For disclosed quantity there is a % to be mentioned while placing an order & this can be placed anyone,

Source: Investopedia

If anyone having different ideas please explain me 

1 Like

Purpose of both the order types are same- Not to reveal the actual quantity.

In Disclosed Quantity, only a part of the total quantity to be traded is disclosed. It applies to a single order.

ex: I want to buy 1000 shares but i disclose only 500 quantity.

Iceberg Quantity is the one, in which even though the intention of the trader is to trade in huge quantity, he executes orders in smaller chunks of quantity. This is done by automated trading. Public sees only a part of the order at a time, thus the name 'Tip of the iceberg'

ex: I want to buy 1000 quantity, but i place automated trades such that, at a time 200 shares are bought.

Investopedia, here.

Iceberg is an algorithm which similar to how most icebergs visually look very small with most ice hidden beneath, posts small orders into market  while holding the balance to optimize price and size of various orders while keeping in synchronization with each tick in the market.Once the previous posted orders are executed they are replaced with the next chunk of orders of the same size as that of the previous one. 

Example: 

Buy 10000 Nestle Industries at 120.00 showing 100 at a time, good for the day.

The iceberg will place one order with 100 quantity in the market, once all these quantities are traded only then next child order for the same quantity i.e: 100 will be placed in the market.This goes on till all the 10000 quantity has been traded.

You can read more on such execution based algo's here

Since it is an algo which places order automatically, it is not allowed for retail traders in India, and is typically used by HNI and Institutions who have access to advance dealer terminals. 

Disclosed quantity is basically an option that every trader gets while placing an order on how much of the quantity should be visible and how much should be hidden. So if you place an order to buy 100 shares at Rs 1000 with disclosed quantity as 50, the marketwatch will show only 50 to be pending at price of Rs 1000. This can be used by retail traders trading big volumes, if they are worried that placing a big limit order will hamper the order execution. Disclosed quantity is a feature available mainly for equity segment only. 

1 Like

So how does a retail trader trade through iceberg orders ? If the retail trader fits in the definition of being an HNI.
@nithin @siva

Retail trader can use disclosed quantity and should solve his requirement. If he want to use Iceberg order he can approach some financial institution offering it to trade in markets.

How ? Any useful links for this ?

But there are hardly any international brokers offering in India, so which institutions you are referring to.

Nithin sir, kindly explain now,
1.) How this ‘Iceberg’ feature has become available to the retail traders in Kite if it was not allowed for retail traders as it came under algorithmic trading?

2.) If this feature can be brought then that means other Algo features can be brought as well like:
→ ‘portfolio’ stoploss and targets,
→ condition based orders like if Nifty spot
touches a particular level then buy ‘X’
qty of nifty 18000 strike calls.

We have gone to the exchanges and gotten it approved as an algo. Every order placed through Iceberg will be tagged as an algo at the exchanges.

We will try to get these approved on the exchanges. Yes, if they approve, we should be able to offer.

2 Likes