How does the new physical settlement of stock derivatives work?

To buy option, if you have premium amount that is enough, for writing option one need some % of total contract value.

I understand that. My concern is on taking delivery of 10 lots on expiry.

And imagine frustration of trader who spends 1000rs in premium forced to spend 1cr fund for taking delivery. This is very disappointing move.

2 Likes

what earlier used to happen before the new circular… can’t we rollover… or best thing to stay away from such situations or to get out

Buyer is not forced if option expires OTM or if he manages to close the contract before expiry, only problem when he let it expire ITM, also we need to wait few more days to know the exact mechanism.

Just to provide some info on this, this is how all advanced(developed) markets function, so we may wish we are moving in the right direction, also this move should hopefully limit operators manipulating stock prices and may help in reviewing SLB ( stock lending and borrowing) market in India, said this initially we may witness less liquidity, higher impact costs but should be sorted in long term.

2 Likes

Thanks for writing this bhaiya. Now can you please explain it in layman language? :smiley: with examples and scenarios if possible

@siva

Please explain this current change in context with the STT rule change which happened last year

Here is the link for the topic
STT Rule

It’s getting confusing.

Thanks

The open interest limit is per client, per trading member. Operators can take positions using multiple client and trading members. Theoretically yeah stock is the underlying for future, but if more trading volumes are happening on F&O, F&O usually drives the stock price. There will be arbitrageurs anyways ensuring both cash and F&O move in sync.

2 Likes

Of course you can rollover - which is exit the current month and take a next month contract. The issue is if you are not able to exit an in the money contract of this month because of liquidity.

:slight_smile: This isn’t a simple thing to explain in layman language. Can you ask me specifically what you didn’t understand?

I am hoping that exchange will continue to have the existing facility of do-not-exercise on close to money contracts (CTM). We will have to wait on exchange clarification on this.

1 Like

What are the implications for an options buyer here?

If it really curbs manipulation I am for it. But such people can still continue their game in between expiries. It will be interesting to see how this changes the market.
Liquidity will definitely come down from now on. Dont know how brokers will cope with it.

I do have the same question !!

Only problem is if you let your option expire in the money, you can still trade and close the contract just before expiry if it is ITM.

If you have

1. Bought calls: If options expire in the money and you continue to hold at expiry, you have to bring in the full value of contract in terms of money, and take delivery of the stock.

2. Bought puts: If options expire in the money and you continue to hold at expiry, you have to deliver full value of stocks of the contract on/before expiry+ 2 days.

These are already answered at start of the thread, anyhow in brief, if you are option buyer and let it expire on expiry day with out closing then theoritically

Case 1: It expired OTM, worthless, can be ignored

Case 2: It expired ITM, so if it is call option you need to take delivery, for put option you need to give delivery of those stocks.

Also in case 2 practically there can be alternatives so we need to wait for few more days on how exchange is going to set this mechanism.

what will be full value of contract ? As an ex. if i am having a SBI call, which expire at 5 rs… the value of shares that i need to buy will be

1. 5*3000( lot size) = Rs. 15000
    2). sbi share price * 3000= 7-8 Lac rs.

Thanks

Thanks. This isn’t applicable to Nifty and Bank nifty correct?

Again, this is answered at the start, anyhow Index derivatives are cash settled only.

1 Like

Thanks Siva