How does the new physical settlement of stock derivatives work?

In order to implement this drastic move, any consideration of reducing the mammoth Lot Size of F&O Stocks?

In other words, SEBI just wants to minimize the retail participation to the utmost. These steps are not friendly for somebody who lives by the leverage. On top of other Charges, GST and Taxes, we are charged STT. :fearful:

@Nithin your opinion please!

1 Like

SEBI is planning to increase, but may not as few stocks are already hitting 10lakh contract size.

@nithin
As you said that if one closes the position before the expiry he will not have to give/take delivery of the stocks and it be cash settledā€¦ in this case such rules doesnā€™t make any senseā€¦ and as you explained the operator thing they will still continue to manipulate stock pricesā€¦ isnā€™t it?

Infact such rules seems to be favouring operators!!!

@dp1980 Even I think the same. In between expiry they will not be bothered. But as expiry nears, I think they will desist from manipulation. Most probably they will move on to far expiry contracts.

2 Likes

@p699
yes, but it doesnā€™t matter weather they trade in near month contract or far month contract. everyone will try to close their positions before expiry to avoid deliveriesā€¦
and this is where the operators will be benefited!!!

salute to SEBI for bringing another non sense rule to destroy the retail traders and favour the operators!!!

2 Likes

Does anyone know if physical settlement will be for only options which are ITM at expiration and OTM options will still donā€™t have to be physically settled?

hmmā€¦ Iā€™d guess trading on stock options will drop off significantly. Everything will move to index options.

Yes, hopefully this should be possible. Waiting on exchange FAQ on this. But this would mean you bringing in additional margin to short the OTM call.

No, you didnā€™t get the point. An operator who has taken huge positions, canā€™t come and cover back the position in the market. If he does, he will automatically push the market in opposite direction. Today he will be able to just let it expire worthless without having to cover.

3 Likes

Of course, OTM options by definition are worthless. They canā€™t be settled in any way.

Kudos to SEBI on this point !
But I am angry on them for high lot sizes.

1 Like

Is that not ITM call? Only then, for his long call deep ITM delivery, can be given back for the shorted ITM call. If it is OTM call that is shorted, it would expire worthless, and will have to take delivery for the first long call, which is deep ITM.

BANKNIFTY went up by 800 points supported mostly by 3 banks !!!
I hope physical settlement will bring down such manipulations. or does it ?

In my opinion manipulation will not come down, Bank nifty is manged by Big guyā€™s by manipulating " HDFC Bank stock" and also already , imposing extra margin" system during volatile period exists. more over all the stocks which are in Bank nifty indices are not in Physical settlement list , so problem will be with stocks , which have physical settlement ,

But what happened today in BANKNIFTY was insane. I hope Zerodha wont square off my positions as I think markets will revert back soon. @nithin
You are right, no stocks in BN are under physical settlement. I hope physical settlement will be applicable on all stocks asap.

Sorry didnā€™t get your question.

If you are long in the money call and short out of the money call. The out of the money call will expire worthless, there wonā€™t be any delivery to it. So this position canā€™t be netted off.

Like I said, I am not sure if these can actually be netted off. Need to wait on exchange clarification.

I am a option ( hope) buyer, not seller , Future buyer & seller , , i am against manipulation / in sane thing , but i donā€™t want all the FNO stockā€™s going to Physical settlement , otherwise one of the market opportunity will go off!!! and there is no point in trading . i don;t want to be just a " Mutual Fund Buyer ":disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

I was suggesting this as to avoid deliveries.

Say, I am Long SBI CE 240.
Let us say, SBI has moved up to 270, and on the expiry day, I am unable to sell my SBI CE240 at reasonable price as it has become deep in the money. That would mean taking delivery of SBI shares at 240.
Instead, sell SBI CE260, which has buyers.

I Contract Long SBI CE 240.
II Contract Short SBI CE 260.

The I contract results in delivery to me, and for the II contract, I need to deliver. So if these are netted, then there will not be any delivery.
I am looking at this as a possible way out of taking deliveries, and since I hold CE240, would there be a margin requirement to sell CE260, as there is no risk involved :grinning:

@TIMEFRAME No No ! Physical settlement will tame the manipulation happening now. Read what Nithin Kamat has said above. In US markets individual stock derivatives are physically settled. It is a good thing.

Big guyā€™s always refer US markets, & their market is well developed , they have liquid far ahead expiryā€™s ( even more than years) option contracts. we need to be practical, in our market only index contracts , that too only up to 2 months are liquid & in case of Stocks options , only present month contracts are liquid ( thanks to SEBI that will too going to be illiquid !!! ) its annoying to trade far months contracts. SEBI can reduce manipulation " by reducing individual stock weight age in a particular indices " , lets say equal weight-age , instead of taking corrective actions SEBI is doing opposite & oppressive action . If HDFC Bank weight-age is less than 30 % of Bank nifty or say around 8 % , todays insane action Bank nifty does not happens.

4 Likes