How is the margin updated?

I just let you know my pain point and [presumably] of many of your users. Now it’s on you whether you want to solve it.

Although, it is tough to find a shortcut as there are innumerable topics with various valuable answers in different threads.

We will try and create a mega thread where we will share all the threads related to key topics.

1 Like

Starring the most important replies/answers within a thread, for each thread, can be another.

Starred responses can then be played around from backend by displaying them on top or compiling them somewhere etc.

Meher, maybe it can be a pinned post. Link to the most important conversation types.

1 Like

Yes, Boss. Will do it.

The margin for FNO is updated periodically by the stock exchange based on various factors such as market volatility, liquidity, and risk. The changes are communicated to traders through circulars or notifications issued by the exchange. Traders should stay informed about the latest margin requirements to avoid margin calls and potential liquidation of their positions.

There seems to be an error in exposure margin for Nifty 17000 PE which is causing the margin required for writing 17000 PE to be higher than 17500 PE

The actual value probably should be 18,458, incorrectly shown as 28,458? Is this error from Zerodha or from the exchange itself?

Hi @Roy

As per rules stipulated by the exchange, An extra 3% extreme loss margin is applied for those deep OTM contracts which are more than 10% away from the previous day closing price of the underlying.

Hence, Selling 17000 PE would require higher margin than say, 17500 PE which is still within 10% from previous day’s close.

3 Likes

Thanks @Meher_Smaran
It makes sense now

2 Likes

@Meher_Smaran A follow-up question.
Let’s say I have overnight positions in a OTM PE strike which was within 10% from Spot on Thursday, but after the up-move on Friday, it now went beyond the 10% threshold. In this case, the additional 3% Extreme Loss Margin will apply from Monday? Or will it apply from EOD Friday?

Also, I notice a discrepancy in the SPAN margin blocked in the “Funds Statement” in Console and the SPAN margin blocked in “Funds” tab in Kite. Why does the “Funds” tab in Kite show a significantly higher SPAN margin?