How to choose Mutual fund broker

I’m trying to find the better platform for Mutual Fund investment for my father. And considering Zerodha coin and Kuvera.
As per my analysis, below is what is understand. (Not 100% sure though)

2 types of mutual fund investements

• Demat format
  • Statement Of Account

Demat format

1. Zerodha uses this format
  2. STP/ SWP is NOT possible
  3. Loan against Mutual funds is possible

Statement Of Account

1. Kuvera uses this i guess
  2. STP/ SWP is possible
  3. Loan against Mutual funds is NOT possible

which is a better way ?

related discussion:

What are you expecting from investing, what asset class funds do you want to invest in, pure debt, hybrid, equity, multi asset etc, what % of withdrawal are you expecting, would your investment value go down if market goes down etc?

Think of these first, medium through which you invest is secondary.

Hi GB26. I understand your viewpoint. I have scheduled a call with an investment advisor to discuss the points you mentioned.
But, was not able to find solid info about Demat format, Statement Of Account.

There are pros and cons for investing in MF in demat form, know about them.

And what do you mean by statement of account?

One more point you can consider is transferring units.

In Demat form, I can transfer units to a family member (anyone actually, called trusted accounts) in simple steps from CDSL online portal.
You can transfer mostly everything that Demat holds, maybe not ELSS that are in lock-in period.
ofc Broker should support, Z has no problems.

That is why LAS(Loans) is so easy, as I can also borrow units and pledge them for my trading requirement without having to redeem and realize the profit/loss.

In SOA, i dont think you can move units around like that without Redeeming them. atleast i’m not aware and if something changed recently that you need to check.
Units will only transfer to nominee if holder passes away.

1 Like

People are forgetting to mention one important thing with Demat form. The only big broker using Demat form is Zerodha via Coin. No other big broker is using it. When the mutual fund regulations came in - Discontinuation of pooling for mutual funds and how it affects Coin look at all the problems people had and for how long. Even basic features like auto SIP didn’t work with Coin. Even now SIP with secondary bank accounts isn’t live.

Most other brokers like Kuvera fixed all these issues in 1 month. For most people on Kuvera there were basically no issues even. If you are in SOA form you easily migrate your account to any other broker just by entering PAN number. So if there are issues with Kuvera no problem you can migrate to Groww, direct AMC, MF Central, INDMoney, MF Utilities (king of MF but really old and bad UI) or basically any other broker as most are SOA form. With Coin the process isn’t easy and is also not really cheap - How to rematerialise mutual funds?. As you basically have to convert the units to SOA form.

I would say go for Kuvera unless your father also invests in stocks and wants a combined portfolio but even that can be achieved with Valueresearch.

GB26, my suggestion is, have some common sense and dont reply if something doesnt add value.

It is possible that I may have misunderstood as you have mentioned about SWP in your your post, so said that, assuming you may want to invest in funds with equity component too.

I don’t gain anything by posting.

:v: