How to find the Trend

Hi Traders,

How we can find the trend which is short term, medium term,Long term trend whether it is using by moving averages or any other indicators.
I see lot of websites, apps softwares providing all these trends but I want to know whats the strategy behind this?
whenever I see the price action on chart first I want to know the where the price is whether its tending in short term, medium term or long term.
Please suggest in this .I search ,discussed with many but dint get exactly…thanks in advance

There are many ways to identify trends.

you can use

1. MA/MACD/RSI…etc
  2. Trendlines
  3. Support resistance
  4. Chart patterns.

Short term could be anywhere from 1 day to a week. Medium anywhere from a week to month and long terms could be in years.

The above indicators will work equally well on all Time-frames.

But to know if price is trending you will have to use common sense after you understand how Price action & indicators work.

Note that trends are evident only after the fact. you cannot predict them in advance.

1 Like

You simply use moving average like 20 EMA for intraday chart, 50 for swing, 100-200 for long term. You also need to see the slope of moving average that whether it is rising, falling or flat.
If the price is above Moving average and its slope is rising than it is in uptrend and when the price is below the MA and the MA line is sloping downward than it is in downtrend and when the price is just moving inbetween the MA line and the MA line is flat than market is sideways.

Try to use trendline and multiple timeframe analysis if possible .

1 Like

This is quite a common problem in trading. There are tons of books written on Trend systems and strategies.

Read as much as possible.

100 people will give 100 different answers to this question.

After reading/studying about trends , you can be in a better position to answer this yourself and find what best suits you.

1 Like

so true…