How to Grow Small capital?

Give more details, what you have given is not sufficient. What did you do for 7 years, how much did you start with, and more.

starting capital was 50lacs, loss 40lacs, remaining 10 lacs only.

can’t handle my emotion after watching losses.

occurs overtrade & that time i was in a different state & took large quantity( otion buying) for recover all the losses.

So you have a profession and doing trading part time, and this 40 lacs loss has not effected your financial life?

1 Like
  1. Rather than trying to make back money, save what you have left. In trying to make it back, you will lose that too.
  2. Mistake you made is to take large risk without verifying that you can actually make money. And then the vicious cycle to make it back makes it worse.
  3. Most people lose money. What have you done to be able to say that you will make money ?
  4. A lot of the time, Psych issues happen because you don’t have an edge and you don’t have concrete proof/belief of edge. Once you actually understand, then there is fear in deviating from system instead and we follow rules. Now it may not be always like that, but this i think is main driver of psych issues.
  5. If you still want to trade. 1) First make a plan 2) Then test this plan without change on historical data of many years without bias. Hard to do, but you have to do it. Check and understand the numbers. If not happy, system does not work 3) If happy with it, start live with small capital. First test whether you can execute and whether your back test and forward test numbers match. If not happy, system does not work 4) Trade small for say atleast 6 months and confirm you can execute without issue. 5) Slowly scale up in steps. 6) Once you have proof that system is working and make money, then keep scaling it up, focus on compounding and diversify into multiple systems to reduce risk.

Finding an edge and executing it without error takes a lot of effort. Learning to trade takes a lot of time and even that is only if you have a good source to study from.
And even after that there is future uncertainty. You don’t get any guarantee of any returns within any kind of period - This is esp true in short term, you don’t get monthly income. Trading is not a substitute for salary. But one can make money if we have an edge and reasonable expectations and perfect execution through ups and downs.

And again, most people do not make money by trading. Only 2-3% make more than FD. This is fact stated by Z boss man.

Search for more threads with people having similar issue. They seem to show up regularly unfortunately. Be happy atleast you have some. When i started trading, i came across someone who lost everything including home and had to do some manual job ( waiter maybe …)

2 Likes

I am doing full time trading.it affected my mental health very much.loose my confidence. How to gain my confidence in trading, how to hold my position longer time? How to again grow my capital.

There are many traders here who can give you some advice, their advice will be different as they have different experiences and backgrounds.

In the meanwhile read these.

1 Like

You are not alone buddy. Most people end up like this or worse than this. Going by discretion you don’t stand more than 1% chance to figure out profitable trading.

Go for a systematic trading strategy and execute it automatically. You have coded and code free backtesting platforms now to convert your ideas to a strategy. There are also brokers who give APIs free of charge for automating strategies.

Also don’t hope and try to gain what you lost quickly. Unless u hit a lottery it ain’t going to happen. Give it few years and follow with discipline a well rounded and tested strategy and see where it gets you.

1 Like

Hi @Saikat_Karmakar, Very sorry to hear about the losses. :frowning:

As @SpacemanSpiff rightly pointed out, it’s better to focus on what we have right now than to worry about past and being anxious about future. I know it is easier said than done. But, I’ve been there and many of us have been in your shoes. What works is building an actionable plan which is focused on delivering reasonable and safe, consistent results over a long period of time.

For now, I’d recommend you taking a small break. Use kill switch , reflect on what went wrong and how you can rectify them going forward and build slowly.

We are all here to support you in not only your recovery but also in helping you achieve your long term targets.

starting capital was 50lacs, loss 40lacs, remaining 10 lacs only.

**can’t handle my emotion after watching losses.**

occurs overtrade & that time i was in a different state & took large quantity( otion buying) for recover all the losses.

See your post started with it’s about being in losses.

This comment mentioned the actual problem. Emotions.
Your issue is not that you lost money, your issue is that it has shaken your confidence.

What I would do is -

1. Break down your process of Trading - Entry, Scaling, SL, Exit etc, Define Clearly.

2. See what individual elements in that process you can improve.

3. Trade as small as possible, trying to perfect your Trades, without bothering about P&L.

4. Trade on higher Timeframes

5. Don’t trade Options for now.

The more you win ( even small amounts ) , the more you will build confidence.
Then scale slowly.

Forget about that 40 lacs and that 1 crore, just focus on the next trade.

PS - Get off Twitter, YT etc. Don’t get influenced by Trading Content.

1 Like

Stop trading using terminals.

Suppose you have 1 lot BN future buy then use RMS software to track its exit. It will also will not fire trades when you are overtrading.

If you are screwed with emotions, no one can save you apart from machines.

Is this your own system?

Yes, it’s a B2B product that I provide to sub-brokers who are referred to me by brokers. I do not actively approach anyone for sales or offer it for sale online.

The particular one You see above is for automating Stockmock trades. This looks complex.

Anyhow, Listen, The point is I was referring to the RMS of the “whole strategy” part. He can get it done by any normal programmer with a tiny fee.

Automation of RMS is the only way to solve psychology.

2 Likes

Yes, if we cannot control our emotions, better give the control to machine.

Agree that automation helps a lot, i have no comfort in sending orders directly, i always send it through code as much as possible.

But its not the only thing. If you don’t have edge, you will have issues. If you have edge but don’t believe in it, you will have issues. Bad expectations, again will have these issues. Also the params itself must be based on system behavior, for ex in systems i trade - protecting profit makes it worse, so having that option can tempt bad behavior.

There is still a human behind the automation, one can turn it off, can change params, and change whole system itself during tough periods, can change limits etc.

But yes, once things are in place automation can work very well in reducing psych issues.

Lol. Just give your wife the password of Hosting and this issue will be resolved.

In my system, You can not even close the trade manually. Its like if you are doing murder of good traders, You should code your perfect prison to fix that situation.

He has many systems, and he is an experienced trader, I think what he was conveying the fact that despite an automated system, if a person does not have the discipline to follow through and meddles with it, it will again give losses.

:flushed: omg

Better halves, behind successful men there are women, women’s intuition etc, so if men give their wives the credentials for their systems, who knows, they can make more than their husbands :grin:

hahaha, start loosing money - whole family will have psych issues now.

Anyway, whatever works is fine and it might depend on person. But i don’t think anyone can trade successfully over long run without complete belief/understanding of system and that takes time - assuming one has edge which most dont. So automation does not solve everything for a newbie.

Not directed at you but i think people tend to overestimate a single solution as answer to psych issues. So a person selling psychology course might claim that that will solve everything, a system seller will say system will solve everything etc etc. But all of it has to come together. But yes, automation and backtesting together solved all live issues for me, rest we have to live with.

The first step to solving a problem is to acknowledge that You have a problem.

So what is the exact problem here?

So, Solve it by code and psychological traps to fix your psychological problems. Like if one has a problem with less drinking water, He should place water bottles in all visual places.

One sort of self-hypnosis. Giving account access to his wife will really fix his over-trading issue. He will be already at -10 Lakh loss tension by losing 10K.

Over.