Huge Margin difference in Opstra and Actual Zerodha Margin Used

Hello Sir,

I use Opstra to track my F&O positions. Earlier the difference between opstra margin calculation and actual margin used by Zerodha would be 10-15% ,

But recently Zerodha is blocking much more margin. Acc to Opstra, Margin for my current open positions should be around 3.6 Lakhs but in Zerodha, actual margin used is more than 5 lakhs. Why , there is now such a big difference

No changes from our end, maybe if you can give exact positions I can able to update you.

1. Even I am seeing a different margin being blocked as compared to the Opstra F&O Margin Calculator. I have some credit spread positions but the margin blocked in Zerodha was ~1L higher than the margin shown on Opstra (~4L). Is there any option way to calculate margins for the weekly expiry options? The official calculator only supports monthly expiry (which is also weird).
  2. Also, suddenly I see the additional margin being blocked at the start of the day for CNC positions (all short option positions). This happened to me today (7th June) for weekly expiry options (10th June). I have multiple open positions so not sure which blocked the additional margin. Can you provide details on the same?

You can use kite baskets instead margin calculator to calculate margins for any instrument/strategy.

Margins are blocked at portfolio less, we can’t split which position is blocking how much. Also better to have minimum 10% as buffer in cash to avoid the changes in margin as they are dynamic.

Thanks, Siva!

Kite Basket is a nice feature, will definitely use it from now. But after the market closes, when I want to analyze or strategize, I would prefer something like the margin calculator which is handier than building a basket. Are there any plans of adding weekly options to the calculator? It would help us tremendously.

If not, then, is there a documented way for calculating the margins so that I could write my own calculator? Is this something available publically? I don’t want to be 100% accurate, more than 95% accuracy in the calculation is enough for what I am trying to strategize. (Assuming I already have access to the options greeks using an API.)

1 Like

Yes, not sure why they haven’t built this feature.