I am getting a lot of unsolicited stocks tips SMS messages ever since I opened a trading account, how do I stop these?

Ever since I opened a trading account I have been getting a lot of spammy messages such as these, is there any way to stop or report them?

2 Likes

Zerodha doesn’t, nor are we allowed to, share client data with third parties.

In the case of you receiving such messages, best report the number to TRAI and the exchanges. You can report to TRAI by sending an SMS to 1900 in the below format (Message, phone number from where you received the sms/call, date on which you received this):

Unsolicited SMS asking for investments in some random business,8553168150,12/06/2017

The exchange has also taken interest in fixing the problem of these unsolicited messages and has provisioned reporting them here.

6 Likes

Simple : you could register DND (do not disturb) over SMS
1.In case you want to stop all promotions, SMS “START 0” to 1909.
2.In case you want to stop only financial product promotion, SMS “START 1” to 1909.

see further http://www.nccptrai.gov.in/nccpregistry/

3 Likes

Have seen this happening when people have used accounts with other brokers as well. You can use one of the excuses as in the screenshot :grinning:

2 Likes

I am also getting such ridiculous messages. But unfortunately, there is no number for sender. For example:

Sender: MD-DMRGSN
Message: Technical Pick of the Month Buy VANI COMMERCIAL LTD (BSE Code 538918) AT CMP 54 Short Term TGT 82.85 in 30 Days SL 50 Trade QTY 1280

Therefore, I think I can’t report to TRAI using the method you suggested. Any idea how to resolve this?

3 Likes

Very helpful if anyone tells how to stop these unsolicited messages.
I have an old demat with HDFC n used to receive some research messages from them which is genuine. Later some research team registered with similar name HFDC n started sending tips.

If getting calls and sms are not enough I m automatically getting added to various investment WhatsApp groups.such a menace and serious breach of privacy even after registering on DND

Finally SEBI decides to ACT :

1 Like

Actually i think i know from where they are coming from. I have searched about it few months back and that time i found that these messages senders have found my link from money control account id. I have it and i receive almost 5 message per day i don’t care about these idiots :wink::grinning::rofl:
If you also have the id on moneycontrol then you can check may be you are also getting from same place.

Reporting to TRAI doesn’t work now. When i send the message in this format, i received the message saying that “Incorrect request, please send the UPC request with correct format PORT Mob no to 1900”

1 Like

just ignore them,

recently , not even a month , i got a new mobile number, which i have updated to 1 bank and zerodha.
i have not given number to any site or anywhere else, yet i have started to get spam stock recommendation (same message) on both the numbers,
i have seen some topics about this issue here before, and zerodha guys said, we dont follow those kind of practice.
i am at loss of words, dont know what is goin on at zerodha,

anyway how to raise compains regarding those tips, does nse or bse have site where i can register complain about those bogus stock tips,

Hi,
None of the brokerages officially give out your number to third parties, and they should not according to regulations…

It’s the inside employees stealing the information from the customers accounts (in banks, brokerages and any financial institutions) illegally, and selling the details to thrid parties. There will not be any proof, from where they get these numbers, they simply say that they get the mobile numbers and e-mail IDs from the data.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/tech/internet/how-data-brokers-are-selling-all-your-personal-info-for-less-than-a-rupee-to-whoever-wants-it/articleshow/57382192.cms

And, 1900 is not the number to report these unsolicited SMS, it’s 1909. Follow the below link for more info.
(1900 is available for operator porting services).

http://www.nccptrai.gov.in/nccpregistry/

You can also report these SMS in your network operator website, say for airtel, below link is the one to report.

https://www.airtel.in/airtel-dnd

In this Technically adavanced world, it’s easy to trace who is that sending the unsolicited messages to the DND registered users. But still no stingent action is being taken by Network operators or TRAI.

2 Likes

Even i am getting such messages, not only on my mobile, but on every mobile number of my family members too. Also lately i was added on such whatsapp groups for investment. I exited immediately. This is happening only since 15 days. DOnt know whats happening

MONEYCONTROL.COM IS THE CULPRIT…!!!

Yes, I too went through the same. When I forced them to tell me how they got my number, they told they got it from moneycontrol.com. It happened on 3-4 different days and all of them said the same.
So, next time anybody opens a zerodha a/c, give a different number to moneycontrol.com and see on which number you’ll get those SMSes and calls.

Dude , how are you so sure they tell will the truth. I my self never registered on any stock broking website or newspaper site but still get these messages since after i registered on zerodha. whether zerodtha accept it or not but this is truth. I have been trading with HDFC securities past 3 years but never got any SMS but why suddenly it started only after registering after zerodha. I feel foulplay by zerodha management here.

1 Like

Agreed that “Zerodha doesn’t, nor are we allowed to, share client data with third parties.” but some staff from zerodha is definitely leaking phone no’s of your clients.

I have equity trading account with zerodha since many years. I recently activated my commodity account with zerodha. Suddenly, i have started getting sms’s from upstox.

AD-UPSXPR:
“Few hours to go!
Complete your a/c opening form with upstox to get Rs.300 back in brokerage.
Offer valid till MIDNIGHT! Use code NOV300.” In the end there’s a link that goes to upstox account opening webpage.

It happened on 3-4 different days and when I forced them to tell me how they got my number (and threatened them) all of them said “moneycontrol.com”. I don’t think all of them telling the same name is a coincidence.
One more thing. Check the permissions of moneycontrol android app in a mobile. Why do they need permission to Contacts?
One quick test. You register in moneycontrol.com giving some contact number which you’ve not given to others and then see the SMSes and calls you get on that number. Let us know if I’m wrong :slight_smile:

I kept following the below SPAM Reporting mandate for 3 weeks continuously and it has stopped finally.

2 Likes

I have been receiving a lot of tips SMS since the day I started using Zerodha. Wanted to know if Zerodha shares customer details with third party investment agencies or operators?

Few of my office colleagues who also use Zerodha also get these SMS.

I love Zerodha otherwise. Just needed a clarification.