If i transfer stock balance from HDFC demat to Zerodha. Still will i get long term gain benifit? (I am holding share for more than a year in HDFC demat)

I have recently opened Zerodha account. If i transfer stock balance from HDFC demat to Zerodha. Still will i get long term gain benefit? (I am holding share for more than a year in HDFC demat). Provide some link which talks about this. And app. how long will it take to transfer?

1 Like

Only purchase contract note is required to prove that it is more than 1 year old. I think you can get LTCG benefit if you have that contract note.

1 Like

Yes, you will get LTCG benefit if you are holding shares more than a year. Transferring shares from one DP to another doesn’t matter to claim LTCG, you can transfer shares any number of times to other DP in a year (Preferred not to do so) Important to have bought contract note & sold contract note (in case sold after a year).

Generally, it takes 24-48 hours of time (Working days) to transfer shares from one DP to Another.

1 Like

Yes if u held it in LT then u get the benefit.

Problem is u have to convince the ITax Officer that it was a transfer to yourself so keep the demat statements ie closing of hdfc and opening of issl.

Best is to open demat account in same name and give closure transfer request to hdfc with issl client master copy attached

that will save you the closure debit transaction charges.

1 Like