Is an audit needed for the following fno profit?

In FY2019-20, I made a profit of 15000 with a turnover of around 3 lakhs. Now, I would like to offset some of my expenses in this income .e.g broadband connection costs, purchase of smartphone which I use for trading etc.

Basically, adding all these up, I am left with a profit of just 1000. Do I need to have a tax audit for claiming these expenses, or can I file ITR3/ITR4 myself? Also, which one should be used - ITR3 or ITR4?

1 Like

@Quicko

Is Tax Audit required?

Since the profit is less than 6% if turnover,

• Tax Audit under Section 44AB is applicable if the Total Income for FY 2019-20 exceeds the basic exemption limit of INR 2.5 lacs
  • Tax Audit under Section 44AB is not applicable if the Total Income for FY 2019-20 is less than the basic exemption limit of INR 2.5 lacs

You can also check out our Determine Tax Audit Applicability tool :slight_smile:

Which ITR Form to file?

You should file ITR-3 since income from trading is business income. ITR-4 is for presumptive business.

For any further queries, write to us on [email protected]

1 Like

You said income less than 2.5 lacs - audit not required under Section 44AB but is this audit required under any other section of IT?

Income Tax section for tax audit is Section 44AB. There is no other section to determine tax audit. However, the Income Tax Department has details of trading transactions of the taxpayer from various sources. Based on this, they may send out a notice for getting audit done.

For any further queries, write to us at [email protected]

So if IT dept has trading transactions - so what? if income is still less than exemption …one does not need to file ITR correct?

Hope this helps, For any further queries, write to us at [email protected]