Is it legal to trade stocks in USA's stock exchanges as an Indian citizen?

Don’t really know of anyone who has broken the law and gotten punished. :slight_smile: Don’t really have an answer to this.

1 Like

SIR PLS HELP
Sir I’m an Indian who wants to trade in US stocks using a cash account, I want to day trade, is it legal?
I won’t be using margin in any way,
just a cash account with 2/3 day settlement rule

But sir you can day trade using a cash account, offcource the money would get settled after t plus 2 days. But you can buy and sell on same day in a cash account?

Who is the broker you are using?

I’m about to decide between TD ameritrade, interactive brokers and hdfc global investing

I will not use any derivatives or etfs, I would only use stocks and that too with a 2/3 day settlement rule, so even if I buy and sell on same day I’ll get the money back after sales proceeds by 2/3 days

@siva @tonytradin i am trading more then one year in usa market not at all a problem , i am trading in all option strategy expect naked selling they approved for me , i am using TD ameritrade there is certain condition
for to trade in option you want to hold us stock worth 2000 $ and you want to bring 3000 $ in cash then you can do spread here no problem at all , i am transferring money through IDFC bank , if i am transferring today morning next day evening the money will credited there … i am trading option the profit from option trading i am investing in Covered call ETF , this etf will give yearly 12 % they distribute on monthly , and again the dividend will be reinvested in the fund itself

but no one will not providing to trade option through those who tie up in india , i directly open account there , because i can purchase any etf and stock there , in indian broker available scrips and platform are limited , i really hate ,
now i can access full fledged TD ameritrade platform , and i am free to trade any option strategy expect naked selling

In USA i need to pay only ELM margin ,
in india i need to pay ELM+ SPAN+exchange, broker , SEBI risk etc margin names are more in india :joy:

3 Likes

@TonyTradin not at all through interactive broker and hdfc global , never open are invest thorough indian broker tie up because for every trade you want to pay $5 as charge and extra charge also , if you open directly with american broker you can avoid all charges , those the indian tie up broker charging hefty currently

seee if you are buying apple 1 stock you need to pay 140$ + $5 + $1.2 some thing hidden charges in india
if you directly you are investing through american broker you need to pay only a stock price , no commission and no hidden charges

1 Like

Thank you sir
I had a chat with td ameritrade and they told me that they’d open a cash account for me, in which I can buy and sell on the same day but money would reach me after sales proceeds by 2/3 days.

1 Like

I am trying to find the user charges and commissions for trading in US market but I am not able to understand much the way there terminology is used. Neither I have seen a sample contract note that is readily available with Zerodha. Any help?

By when Zerodha will start allowing to trade in US equities?

Go with td ameritrade cash account.
No margins, no options/futures.
Plus the 3 day settlement rule .
Then, you’re good to go

1 Like

What are broking charges, regulatory charges etc, where i can find these details? Any help.

Will take couple of months.

Log on to twitter, and contact td ameritrade through direct messaging. They’ll guide you.

Any update sir ?

No ETA, may take more time.

Any kinda update sir ?
I ll keep asking every 3 weeks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Will take more than 3 months.

1 Like

Now please keep asking every 3 months…