Is supertrend trustable?

So for intraday, 1 minute time frame is not good on charts?
It is not good for scalping also though I am not talking about scalping here. Scalping is never a good strategy, highly risky. One wrong trade may sweep away 1 months profits earned from scalping.

Trade less & earn more profit per trade is I believe.

3 Likes

Nothing is Good and Bad in Market Its Upto the Traders What is Good or Bad for Him.

4 Likes

Accuracy above 90 % ?

Wow If I achieved that I will become billionaire with in a year.

Coming back to your topic. I used Supertrend some days back I achieved success rate in between 45 to 50 % by improving it( My present success rate is only 40 % ).

Improvement I made : I will enter the position not after signal candle close but breaking of signal candle low/high.

By the above improvement I increased 5 to 10 % accuracy of signals.

8 Likes

Whats the use of technical indicators if the accuracy is just 40- 50%.

Waste of time & energy doing calculations , studying analysing charts, candles etc etc.

Flip a coin in air, it will land up on the ground as Heads or Tails only. It wont have a third outcome. Probability for each outcome will remain 1/2 .

If technicals are giving accuracy around 50% then its better to trade using your experience & instincts even then the outcome will remain same , either u win the trade or you cut down your loss.

@Srinivas & others can share their views.

Thanks

2 Likes

Oh my bad. I did not found any trading strategy or indicator with more than 50 % accuracy which I can depend in my short span of 4 years experience with markets.

Any how all the best to you in hunt of good strategy which gives more than 50 % accuracy.

One more point I want to tell you that accuracy is not alone the ingredient of trading strategy. Risk Reward ratio also plays a key role.

I am happy with my trading strategy which is giving me 40 % accuracy with 1:2 Risk Reward ratio.

9 Likes
1 Like

@Spaceship… contrary to popular belief success of the indicator is not measured on the wins. IT is mostly on how many points you gain when you win and how many points you lose when you lose.
For example Peter Brandt, once of the successful chart traders has win ratio of 30% but what is important is when he wins, he wins big and when he loses he loses very small. I can tell you from my own experience is that It is always risk management and money management when trade goes against you and riding full journey when you get it right.

3 Likes

There is no strategy which has a 100% efficiency
And on 1 min chart 90% strategies are useless
Increase your time frame on super trend for better results

2 Likes

Supertrend is like any other trend following indicator, that is, when the script is trending in one direction in the selected time frame it will make money if you follow it, and when the scrip it not trending it will give repeated whip-saws resulting in losses. These indicators are nothing but price based calculations of some immediately created price points( like previous 14 periods, etc…). In today’s time most of these calculations based indicators are coded in algorithmic trading programs(residing nearest to the stock exchange) which have a way faster execution capacity that humans, hence they(indicators) have become less profitable for the ordinary retail trader(sitting in their home or office). Actually, the creators of these indicators used them profitably long back many years ago when they were exclusive to them. Once they wrote about these indicators in their books/journals/seminars to make bestsellers, these became public knowledge and their profitability eroded.

5 Likes

what time frame r u using in supertrend and what is the setings for swing trading.?

SpeculatorRegularNov 3
Spaceship:
What other indicators to be used in addition to supertrend to increase the accuracy of charting signals to above 90%.

Accuracy above 90 % ?

Wow If I achieved that I will become billionaire with in a year.

Coming back to your topic. I used Supertrend some days back I achieved success rate in between 45 to 50 % by improving it( My present success rate is only 40 % ).

Improvement I made : I will enter the position not after signal candle close but breaking of signal candle low/high.

By the above improvement I increased 5 to 10 % accuracy of signals.

Can you elaborate a little more on “I will enter the position not after signal candle close, but breaking o signal candle low/high”

Regards

He meant to say is that he doesn’t jumps into the trade immediately after the candle where supertrend is giving signal.

He waits until the next candle breaks the signal candle High/low for bullish/bearish trade.

1 Like

you have read the probability correctly but suppose if coin stand straight just for the sake of possibility.

Yes it is. and for intraday charts please see duration of 5 mins and 15 mins. and better use strategies with 15 mins and go for short tgt and sl and more quantity.

1 Like

Couple it with RSI, by doing so you will reduce a number of false signals but at the same time you will lose some true signals as well. (your decisions will confined to RSI values <40 for buy and >60 for sell so reducing some false signals, but at the same time yo will miss out some good reversals/breakouts happening when RSI >= 50 and still price shoot up missing buy opportunity and when RSI <=50 and price falls greatly missing short opportunity.

use 14 4 supertrend for 1 minute follow high low break after signal generates use it with high beta stocks only

It’s a useless indicator so stay away…

1 Like

@Gurly7 @rahulkhanna @alphaT @trader_dude @sekhar916 @Newbie420 @saurav106
there is a present Supertrend value showing right side of the screen. It represents what? How to calculate the trend change from this value?

Not sure if I understood the question. Could you post a screen shot of what you are referring to ?

-AlphaT

@alphaT Thanks for your reply.

As per your request, attached a picture, please see the arrow mark showing the present value of Supertrend. How to calculate the trend change from this value?