Is this a joke by SEBI?

Some people will say our stock market has no liquidity no active traders, whom should we blame?

Leverage will reduce if this circular comes into effect. May be 7 to 8 times one can get intraday leverage on stocks.

1 Like

Few brokers are giving upto 40 times leverage and that is the real problem, in many developed economies leverage is also controlled, I personally believe in a way this is a good initiative for long term stability.

1 Like

@siva, any good news we can expect from SEBI for hedged trades , ETA can expect

It will announce but no idea on timeline.

1 Like

At Zerodha we dont’ allow clients to trade without margins, but the story isn’t the same with other brokers, especially a lot of small to mid-sized ones. I don’t think our clients will be really affected with this.

6 Likes

What will be difference between MIS and BO/CO in terms of leverage once this is implemented?

If this is implemented then max leverage can’t be more than 7 to 8 times, both in MIS and BO or infact on any intraday product with any broker, but this is little grey area, need to await for few more details.

When zerodha will confirm the new margins? As this will come to effect from 1st Jan 2020

Awaiting more details on this, once it is out we will inform all our clients.

1 Like

I think these are not reported correctly, need to wait for few more days to get clarity.

This is good to hear. Though, will leverage for BO - CO orders reduce when this rule comes into effect?

1 Like

May not be.

@siva here you are saying BO/CO leverage may not be reduced.

In one of reply in this post you told that BO/CO leverage will come down to 7to8 times.

Please clarify

Ideally in the spirit of circular it means leverages should come down, but reporting happens at end of the day so it is similar to fno for which both span and exposure is required to initiate and carry forward position but broker fund for intraday. Hence I said it is grey area and few more clarifications are awaited, once everything is clear, Nithin will write a blog explaining the circular in detail, please give it couple more days to get more clarity.

4 Likes

@Bhuvan How to close this thread, since Nithin has answered this issue in another thread ?

1 Like

Shouldn’t be an issue now that you’ve posted the link at the end

can anyone confirm the exact rule now? we hold some shares in cash delivery since many months, do i have to maintain margins against that?

As of now nothing changes, will let all know if anything changes.