Leverage On Intraday Option Buying

Hi @nithin,

Why doesn’t Zerodha give leverage on Intraday Option Buying?

Thanks

2 Likes

Hi @Jason_Bourne

We’ve written on what we think about Option buying in the Z-connect post below.

We are trying our best to nudge our clients to make better money decisions and having leverage on Intraday option buying would make it the riskiest trade out there for clients. :slight_smile:

Moreover, Intraday leverage in the F&O segment was stopped after SEBI introduced peak margin requirements which mandated collection of minimum upfront margin, i.e. SPAN + Exposure margin for F&O. You can check this post for more details:

1 Like

The riskiest trade out there is not going naked long with options. It is going naked short with options or naked long or short with futures. Naked option buying works and the nudge against it nudged me and other traders I know out of Zerodha. This also affects hedged option selling in zerodha because no hedge margin benefit is available at the time of order placement.

Option buying works

1 Like

The new SEBI regulation doesn’t allow for any intraday leverage for option buying

If some broker is offering, they are violating the rules.

2 Likes

is there any broker who gives?

1 Like

No one to my knowledge gives intraday leverage for FnO (not just for option buying) after SEBI circular. But certain brokers allow buying options with pledged margin.

2 Likes

do you use tick based chart over time ones? if you’ve anything to say about them

Nope I don’t use tick charts.

1 Like