Low brokerage leads to people overtrading

Alright, the exchange is a broker for brokers, broker². Which only sounds worse :joy:

This report doesnt make sense as its not researched from Indian stock markets.

Here - if the brokerage is lower, the trader saves more money !

2 Likes

I would agree , here I punch 10 orders for 18k quantity even tough we have enough liquidity in OTMs that I think could be managed by 2 or max 3 orders( even avoiding freak trades) , so every time I am paying 3-4X brokerage for my orders which seems unfair to me . Freeze quantity should be per premium not fix for all premiums.

Even SEBI reports says approx. 20% of PNL people paying in form of Brokerage, STT ,Charges etc. This is huge Fixed cost which I think should be lowered or should be in form of fix subscription model types after certain Turnover etc.

Lowering charges should definitely help traders.

2 Likes

To raise this request again, non-data API access should be free, ie. Orders, holdings, positions, funds etc

1 Like

Totally agree on this. On expiry days I change my strikes at least 3 times on both sides. What could do with 6 orders in total with 120 rupees I have to place 60 orders and incur 1200.

Ye freeze limit bas ek kamane ka tarika hai, aur kuch nahi. This talk of doing it for the “safety of the retailers” is just bollocks.

3 Likes

Lot size is changed to keep notional value of contracts between 5-10lakhs & freeze quantity to keep notional below 5Cr. If these aren’t changed periodically, then contracts would become too large/small to trade as the underlying value increases/ decreases. No conspiracy here.

If you/ i accidentally press one/two extra zeros in our order quantity, it will be rejected due to insufficient funds. If institutions happen to do this without proper order checks from their risk management teams, it would be disastrous without freeze quantity!

1 Like

what logic is that?

How can the rules be set considering the institution in mind? If they have a problem get a software to double check the qty & price.
No system should favor the privileged by looting from the poor.

also the freeze qty is not really getting enforced now - its a disaster because all the brokers offer iceberg orders. ie you place an order for 10000 qty, system will split as 11 orders of 900 and 1 order of 100 for bank nifty.
only difference is that you pay brokerage 12 times instead of 1.

*well i pay zero brokerage intraday, so it doesnt really matter for me now - but i am quite sure looking at my trading pattern my broker will soon do away with this offering

You have to punch the wrong quantity & wrong split! god save you if you can be that stupid😅

This favours the privileged? How?

Is anyone who can place orders above the freeze quantity poor?:sweat_smile: (Assuming you’re selling first ofcourse)

Fat finger trades used to happen earlier, and will keep happening in the future.
And like I said earlier, this is only a recent change, introduced a few years ago.

Check this old post & compare the freeze quantity to what it was back then to what it is now:

Not to mention, the lot size has decreased too

Someone mentioned that it was higher if you go more back in the day

1 Like

I don’t get it, lot size and freeze quantity are a no brainer.

Of all the stupid shit that sebi and nse introduce, this is of least concern.

Poor need not be literal. It here means the cost of doing business.

If person1 is making a profit of 1 lakh by spending 35k & person2 is making a profit of 0.8 lakh by spending 10k - who is poorer ?

What?:rofl:
What does rich/poor have to do with cost of business?:rofl:

You feel it that way because your trade quantity is probably below 1800 quantity. You do not know the difference in brokerage that we have to bear.

It’s higher. Refer to my first post on this thread, I just think the other charges are way more bloated than brokerage.

Only full time traders will truly understand this!

Having a high brokerage will automatically increase other costs as well, eg: the GST is on the brokerage. STT & stamp duty are higher but not as high as brokerage.

If you are trading in FnO - just calculate the % brokerage you paid last year vs the revenue you made.

14% of net profit to charges of which, only 3.25% is brokerage. I do trade full time😅

Infact, the real damage only comes after all this… while paying itr😅

For the month of Jan in one of my accounts. Total charges are 7390. Out of this brokerage is 5040

This is the screenshot of the same.

If I consider all my accounts I have paid total charges of around 30k. Out of this around 22k is just brokerage. Now if there was no quantity freeze easily I would have saved 15k. This is just in one month.

Your other charges are more because you probably trading in ATM or ITM. AGAIN, just guessing from what you have said above.

I trade itm,otm&atm. Yes, i can see how brokerage can become high. There are ways to use your capital more efficiently to reduce brokerage. Although, nothing can be done about the other charges.

now thats really great. Your trading is highly efficient.

With zerodha, our average % charges are 25 to 30% on the revenue made.