Mandatory 50% cash margin rule for trading impacting the pledged collateral margin trading

Yep, you are right. Liquid funds are treated as cash.

1 Like

Thank you so much for answering with humble !

if this 50:50 rule has been there already, then how come few brokers are able to by-pass this rule? I do have a trading account with an another broker where I have only pledged equity MF and I use entire 100% margin amount for f&o intraday and overnight positions.

Like I said, at the clearing corp this 50:50 rule has always been there. But this, because it is a pooled account, would mean that if one customer had a free cash balance parked and another had only collateral, brokers could use one person’s cash to fund another person. The new rule isn’t 50:50, the new rule is that customer funds at clearing corporation now needs to be segregated. This means brokers can’t use one client’s free fund for another client, which means brokers have to put their own funds. If a broker has to fund it, there is a cost to it, so all brokers will either start charging interest on this (like how we do) or charge higher brokerage charges for derivative trades.

1 Like

is that rule applicable for intraday fno also or only positional will require 50% cash component?

50:50 Cash - Collateral requirement is only for overnight positions, not for intraday.

1 Like

So after feb 28th 2022 also there will no requirement to maintain 50% cash or cash equivalent for intraday trading in FnO? just like now its not required…please clarify it, since other broker already started asking for 50% cash for intraday and that creating big confusion. I’m using Zerodha and other broker for intraday trading and zerodha is only broker currently allowing to trade with 100% collateral money.

1 Like

Right. For intraday you can utilise 100% of the collateral margin. There won’t be any interest charged. The 50:50 Cash - Collateral requirement is only for overnight positions.

2 Likes

Even though Cash available goes in a negative, there will be no interest…right? For intraday?

For intraday there will be no interest.

1 Like

Is there any change for zerodha users?
I have only 30k cash. Remaining 5 lakh is pledged equity. I take overnight positions on 3 lots each side generally. Cash is negative but margin is positive. And I’m happy to pay interest.
Is this going to be stopped?

1 Like

Nothing changes for you. You can continue to utilise the margin like you currently do.

2 Likes

Will Zerodha squareoff my Intraday straddle position if negative cash balance exceed? or no problem unless available margin is positive?

3 Likes

No problem till available margin is positive

3 Likes

Was there a further clarification to this circular? I saw another reply of yours from a month ago where you say that you might have to stop funding it with your own money altogether! Did SEBI clarify that 50% cash has to come from the same client and not even from brokers own funds?
@nithin

The circular implementation date got postponed by 3 months. It is now June 1st. Currently there is no issue if the broker funds from own funds.

Hi, like the majority I sell options and It is already mentioned in the thread that 50:50 Cash Margin need not to be maintained for Intraday Position and this is for positional option selling only.

Still asking for an update whether this is rule is continuing or there has been changes in 50:50 Cash Margin rule for option selling.

Can I take intraday options selling position with say 25% Cash Collateral and 75% from Equity Mutual Funds. All positions being strictly Intraday only. Will I have to pay interest for intraday position in above scenario.

Also take MIS Trade or NRML

Thanks for indulging me in advance.

@ShubhS9

Hey @shankesh_shah

The exchanges require that 50% of the margin for F&O positions must be in cash or cash equivalent collateral, while the remaining 50% can be in non-cash collateral margin.

You can check on this link to understand more on pledging.

1 Like

Yes you can, even with 0% cash collatral. 50:50 rule is not applicable for Intraday.

Hi, @KarthikAcharya Thanks for your response. I have been doing option selling since last 4 years so I am familiar with pledging and the 50% cash margin rule. However, I used to do positional selling only, thus I was following the 50:50 rule diligently.

However, now I am moving away from positional selling and persuing Intraday trading only, so had a query about whether 50% cash margin rule is applicable to Intraday also.