Manipulation in currencies and commodities too

@nithin yesterday I was reading an article on a website and got surprised that currencies can also be manipulated. Also NSE has loopholes in system which are bad for retail traders. you can read this article by clicking on http://bit.ly/2rxyBLS . Do you think retail traders can still compete with larger players

1 Like

I believe 80% market trades are manipulated. Especially at NSE.

SEBI is also part of this game. Else it will not play jokes like this.

It took more than ten years for SEBI to investigate Reliance’s Insider Trading, still not concluded.

SEBI is beating Ekta Kapoor

6 Likes

I know we all like stories that talk about foul play. But this is how capital markets are all around the world. There will be certain people who will always have faster access to the markets and more information than you or me. But if you aren’t really trading strategies where every milli-second matters. If you don’t have a huge exposure to a single stock, so every piece of information can potentially hurt you. I don’t think you should be really bothered.

The biggest edge retail traders have over the larger ones is the size. In this business, being small is a huge advantage. For example you can get in and out of a 5 lot stock future position any time. Imagine if you had 5000 lots of an illiquid stock. Can you just think what you’d do if it went against you. You’d want to exit, but know that by trying to exit you will move the market even more against you.

So as a retail trader, we need to play to our strength. Remember the David vs Goliath story. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

@nithin sir,
I wanted to clear following things :

1. It is being heavily propagated that “smart money” and brokers always take the other side of retail trader’s trades and always beat them to it. It is an effort in futile for retail trader to even expect a positive return in long term while day trading. What do you say about this as you have been a trader and now own a brokerage firm.
  2. Is it true that algo-trading has taken whatever slight edge was present in day trading?? Are we, as retail traders, really wasting our time?
  3. As “smart money” most certainly do not “day trade” but build a portfolio,hedge it when required and let it work to generate returns. How do we do the same with so less amount to trade with , let alone the hedging of a portfolio?

I would really like to know it from someone like you who has been to other side of all of it.

1 Like I was saying earlier, retail trader has one huge advantage over everyone big out there - of being small and nimble, as long as you are playing to that strength, the chances of winning in long term as a trader is much higher.
Analogy - imagine Muralidharan had decided to become a fast bowler instead.

Like every other business out there, trading is similar - only the best will survive. You can be lucky 5 trades, 10 trades, 100 trades, but that is not enough if you have to survive being a trader. So you have to do the right things day in and out to come on top of it in the long run. No, you are not wasting time if you are giving this a 100%. But also important to know that not everyone can make it in trading. So having a stoploss on trading itself is the biggest risk management rule.

As a trader, you just don’t trade stocks. You trade anything where you think you have higher risk to reward ratio. Starting a brokerage firm to me was a trade, that played out well.

2 I guess we all know that there is no program yet that can predict the future accurately. :slight_smile: So as long as that doesn’t happen, we all have even chances. An algo can only do what the developer asks it to do. So yeah, the algo will have an edge to analyze faster, place trades faster, but a a retail trader you aren’t really playing that speed game.

3 Compounding is magic, and stock markets aren’t quick easy money. With 25lks starting, 30% compounded (which good traders easily manage), you’d have Rs 5 crores in 10 years. If someone is trading for a living with smaller amounts, it would be best to go work somewhere, save up atleast that much before trying to be a full time trader. When trading with smaller amounts, traders tend to take much bigger risks which potentially can be detrimental.

11 Likes

Another case of Manipulation

This happened between 2011 and 2014. SEBI Issues notice now.

It is taking years to initiate a investigation and decades to complete. After any action by the SEBI,
concerned parties will go to court and drag it another few years. By the time we will be no more.

Manipulation Hit all time High.

After DEMO it has multiplied many times.

Your reply has sparked great many things in my mind. Hopefully I will be able to make it useful to me someday.