Margin for bracket order

Is the margin calculator in sync with the margin policy ? I see a huge difference for Hindalco. In the calculator the leverage is some 20 times, but even though I have sufficient margin for it I am not able to trade

It depends where you place your SL in BO. If you have a wider SL then you need more margin.

Thanks. But should I need huge margin ? I read here that BO is only allowed for Nifty & Bank Nifty only . Is it still the case ? If not , then this morning I was placing a bracket order to sell 500 qty of Hindalco at 194 with stop loss of 195.25 in the margin calculator it showed me the requirement of margin 4656 . But when i tried the same thing in kite, it rejected the order showing a margin of ~100000 needed. :frowning: Please help me if my understanding is wrong. I am learning to trade.

1 Like

I think issue here is that stoploss is enterd in term of price of stock. It should be entered in absolute points. In your example you should enter stoploss 1.25 instead of 195.25.

1 Like

Thanks Bikram !! I just now saw a tooltip in the order form :slight_smile: not sure whether it was there earlier

1 Like