Margin requirements near expiry for stock fno positions?

Good afternoon…

I am a little unclear on zerodha’s policy for margins required for holding stock fno positions till expiry?
Can someone please explain with a detailed example?
I have already gone through the support page where they have explained it…

For example, I buy maruti Oct fut, short maruti 7800 call and buy 7500 put, can someone explain in detail the margin requirements e4, e3, e2,e1 respectively?
Thanks!!

If the price moves up and expiry is near, will it be the case that it would require 50% of margin(fut+call short)…
As put is otm, will it require increased margin near expiry??e4,e3,e2,e1???
The support article says 50% of span +exposure or contract value, whichever is higher…
Is the contract value 7700(cmp)*100(lot size) ??
Someone please help me in understanding this in details
Thanks
@ShubhS9 sir… kindly help…

If the price of the underlying moves higher and if your Long Put position is OTM, this position will not require any additional margins. For the Long Option position, the additional margin is required only if the position is ITM.

For Long Futures and Short Call position, the margin requirement will increase on the day of expiry to 40% of the contract value or SPAN + Exposure margin (whichever is higher). You will continue to get any margin benefit, you were getting. You can check out this post for more details: Relaxation in Physical Delivery Policy - Margins collected

Yes. Contract Value = CMP * Lot Size for Futures and Premium * Strike Price * Lot Size for Options.

1 Like

Thank you @ShubhS9 sir…
One more doubt…
If short call goes itm, what would be the total margin required?
And what would be the case if short call is otm near or at expiry?
50% of fut contract value+50% of short call contract value??
.5*(7700 * 100)+.5*(100* 7700* 100)???
I am sorry, this got me confused…
Do we have an example for this in any support article or varsity??

Does e4,e3,e2,e1 apply to long options only, if I am not wrong??
Thanks again in advance

For Short Open position, whether it’s ITM or OTM, only SPAN + Exposure margin will be blocked.

As explained above, the margin requirement for Short Option position and Futures position will only increase on expiry day to 40% of the contract value or SPAN + Exposure margin (whichever is higher).

The post I shared above explains this in detail. Do check it out :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, this is applicable only for Long ITM options.

Thanks a lot @ShubhS9 sir…
Almost all my doubts are clear.

One last query if you would allow.
Maruti Oct fut is 7691
7800 call is at 120
7500 put is at 119

Using zerodha’s span margin calculator, buy fut, short call and buy put,

Span is 24319
Exposure is 53873
Total margin required is 78192

On the day of expiry beginning of day, if price of maruti is say 7900 or 7600 or 7400…

7900: 40% of contract value ie 0.4 * 7900 * 100 =316000

7600 : again 40% of contract value ie 316000

7400: 40% of contract value ie 316000+ 70% of (var+elm+adhoc)???
Thanks yet again
When ever you find time sir, kindly clear my doubt
Warm regards

@ShubhS9 sir…
If I create a basket of stock fut long, pe long and ce short, will the required margins be updated in The “BASKET SECTION” of “ORDERS TAB” IN REAL TIME??? especially e4,e3,e2,e1 etc…so that I can understand it carefully and practically before deploying a real trade next month?
Thx in advance sir ji…

@ShubhS9 Hi Shubham, thanks for the explanation.
I have a query:
I own 1 lot of a stock and I have sold a call against it which is ITM now.
What will be the margin required against my call on the expiry day as I am going to let it expire and my stock is available for delivery.

Appreciate your reply, thanks.

1 Like

For Short option position, irrespective of it being ITM or OTM, the margin requirement will increase to 40% of the contract value or SPAN + Exposure margin, whichever is higher, on the day of expiry.

1 Like

@ShubhS9 Noted, thanks Shubham.